Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

Are we more susceptable to sea-sickness after AN?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Gennysmom:
I haven't tested this yet...let me know...I had great sea legs before surgery, never ever had a bout of sea sickness, to the point that I was on a ferry that hit a storm and everyone got sea sick except for about 5 of us.  I haven't had the opportunity yet to put my sea legs back on, but I can tell ya that I can do 8 hours in a train just fine.  Made me tired as heck, but I didn't get motion sickness. 

roub1:
 A few years ago I had no problems with boats and water. Last couple years, before surgery were bad, couldn't spend an hour on the water. I got a buddy with a new boat who has been after me to try it out, haven't had the nerve (Don't want to be the first to decorate his deck). I was kinda hoping someone would say it all goes away. Guess I'll have to try it for myself.

Jeanlea:
Rob,

I've been out fishing both before and after my AN surgery.  I didn't really get seasick before.  One time I was feeling a little queasy so my dad told me to keep my eyes on the horizon.  That helps.  I was also on a ferry boat in bad weather and didn't feel too good.  That was all befoI'd give it a try if I were you.  Good luck fishing!!re the AN.  This past summer I was on a fairly large boat in Lake Superior.  The waves were about 6 feet or so.  I didn't feel sick at all.  Found I could walk as well as anyone else on board.  Also went out on a much smaller boat that was being tossed about by the waves.  No seasickness again.  I did find I was able to stay upright better than the others on board.  It was just like the "box" at my therapy sessions.   I'm planning on going back to Isle Royale again this summer in Lake Superior for more fishing.  Good luck fishing!!

Jean

kat:
Hi everyone

The AN has not had any effect on my sealegs  before or after GK . I feel lucky since we spend several months every year on our sailboat and we were really concerned about possible balance problems and seasickness but so far (touch wood ) I have been feeling fine .

Regards Kat

littlemissrory:
Hey Rob-
I had my surgery in May 2004, I had alot of trouble before surgery with dizziness, nausea, vomiting, nystagmus...a few months after surgery all was well.  The nausea and "strange vision" issue returned in September 2005 (possibly from scar tissue shrinking and affecting the nerve)-and in November 2005 decided it was time to learn to sail.  Honestly, I was green the first few times...and then fine.  Never vomited and didn't feel so bad that I didn't have fun.  The way I saw it then was if I was going to feel like that on land why not jump on a boat and have some fun-sailing is awesome!  The nausea and "strange vision" has since subsided again and I enjoy alot of time on the water in Puget Sound,  even with bad weather all is well.

Personally, I'd say go!  Deep sea fishing is too much fun to miss.  Skip the caffine, drink Ginger Tea (the best is Yogi Tea), try Sea-Bands (found in the pharmacy) all as a just in case your worried...and none will cause additional side effects.  It is thought to be very good for healing to throw your brain off-balance...in doing so it learns much quicker to balance.

Have a great time on the water.
Cheers,
Rory

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version