Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

37 YR Male, 6.3cm AN, 4 surrounding cysts - post surgery success story Chicago

(1/8) > >>

Jet747:
Hello,

First, I wish I would have found this forum a few weeks ago as there is some great information here!

I will post some details of my case and if you have specific questions please email me and I will be happy to reply.

I had been having noticeable balance issues for 3 months, I would just fall over.  No dizziness, no headaches, no nausea.

I had been seeing my primary doctor who suspected I was becoming allergic to my allergy medicine.

After taking a big fall on May 10th my wife and I suspected MS and asked for an MRI which I had May 11.  May 12th I received a call at work whereby I was notified that I had an extremely large tumor.

I was told I needed surgery ASAP and met with 2 neurosurgeons from 2 different practices.

I had my first surgery with Dr. George Bovis of the Brain & Spine Clinic operating out of Lutheran General Hospital, May 19.  During the surgery he found another cyst in my brain stem.  I had a second surgery May 21 (they used the same entrance).

Long story short I returned to work today (part time) and already feel much better than before the operation! 

I can share my MRI's & post op staple pictures if your interested just email.  (Not sure how to post here)

My tumor was very large, it was located on the left side and pushing against the brain stem, hence my falling.  I did have some minor ringing in my left ear.

The main tumor was surrounded by 3 cysts which where also removed.

I'm scheduled to have gamma knife treatments in October to kill the remaining tumor.

All in it was very scary for my wife, I honestly didn't know what to think and everything moved so fast so it was not too bad for me.  I stayed in hospital a total of 7 days.  I used ATI for my physical & occupational therapy.  My balance is restored and I have zero hearing loss, I'm quite lucky thus far.

Anyways, I mainly am posting to offer encouragement and if you want to email I will respond.

Best of luck,
Jet

Jet747:
Hello again,

I think I figured out how to post a few images.

This is the AN, post surgery staples and my daughter who enjoyed the wheelchair rides!

[/url]

[/img]

keithmac:
astounding!  best of luck for the future!   :)

rm516:
<<<My balance is restored and I have zero hearing loss>>>>
Jet74, You may be the only person on this forum (wouldn't be surprised if in this entire world) who had such large (6.3 cm) AN and did not lose hearing. Congratulations!!
 I thought, I was the lucky one, still retaining ~50 % hearing after AN surgery(Rt side) in Jan, 2013. My AN size was 3.5 cm X3.5 cm . Although,  I still have nearly 25 % of remaining tumor, although and it hasn't grown after surgery (~1.5 years). I am 59 years old.
Neurosurgeon (Dr. Sisti) said, if it grows I may need Gamma otherwise I am good to go.

Thank You for sharing such good news, because it gives encouragement to newbies.
BTW:  Did you have any other temporary issues (like Facial nerve, dry eye etc) during recovery.
Good luck for your upcoming Gamma sessions .

Jet747:
Rm516,

Indeed I feel very "lucky".

I have had no post-op issues (thus far). 

Honestly I have no idea and I didn't do anything special.

I do feel as though I kept a very positive attitude and I would say Dr. Bovis did an excellent job (2 times). Lutheran General Hospital also did a great job while I was in ICU (5 days).

Post-op my only complaint was the drug they gave me, Delaudet (sp?).  I didn't like the effects so 1 day after my second surgery I switched to 500mg of Tylenol.

Perhaps the cyst that encased the tumor helped facilitate such a good result?

I do want to offer words of encouragement to everyone going through this and indeed I believe there is strong hope for remarkable outcomes and recovery!  It wasn't exactly "fun" to go through the surgery but it wasn't too bad either.

Best,
Jet

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version