Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

plastic surgery for facial paralysis

<< < (2/6) > >>

nancyann:
Hi Mari:  I have decided on facial reanimation with Dr. Patrick Byrnes at Johns Hopkins - I'll still have right sided facial paralysis, but at least I'll look 'normal' at rest.  Too scared to do anymore real invasive surgeries like nerve grafts.
I'm a little concerned when you say your skin is peeling only in a certain area of your lips - maybe you should check with a dermatologist.
All the best Mari,  Nancy

Mari:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have seen the dermotologist. My paralysis affects everything on the left side. No tears, sinus poblems, many more. But to get to the point the doc says the dry lips are basically lack of saliva production.  The left side is dryer and crazy enough with 1/2 tounge paralysis it is no problem licking the upper lip, I guess we all do these things uncontiously but I have to remember to contiously make an effort remember to keep my lips conditioned or to lick the bottom left intentionally and I guess It is just not in my routine It looks quite awkward too.  Sorry that was me making a short story long. I'm glad you don't have to deal with headaches and all good stuff. sounds like our surgeries were similiar only on opposite sides. What was your tumor size? Mine was 2cmx3cm. Hope you are doing well. Oh about the reanimation surgery. Surely it is not covered by insurance. Do you know the cost? From what I have heard John Hopkins would definately be the place to go. Where is that located? I'm in neverland (Kansas).
Later,
Mari

nancyann:
Hi there Mari:  My tumor was a full 2 cm.  The cheek sling will be covered at 70% (out of network); as for the rest, it will be a fight with the insurance company.   I'm figuring on paying approx $40 - 50K when I get the bill (I WAS saving for a new car, but I'd rather have a new face & drive my car of 11 years!) - so I'll also have to write out a home equity check for whatever the balance after my savings is used up.  Johns Hopkins is in Baltimore, Maryland.   I'll have to stay there 7 -10 days after surgery, then recuperate at home.  My initial visit is Oct. 3rd (& it can't get here soon enough!!!)
Always good thoughts,  Nancy

hollyjo:
I haven't been on this forum since I was three weeks post-op, not for an acoustic neuroma, but for a (surprise!) facial nerve neuroma.  What fun the past year has been!  Yes, I have facial paralysis (my surgeons had to sever the nerve and perform a graft), incomplete lid closure, dry eye, balance issues, memory issues - everything.  The other day I fell while bending over to pick up a piece of paper - crashed into the treadmill and bruised myself up pretty well.  I teach 10th grade art (a tough job if you're in good shape; absolutely bone-numbingly exhausting if you're not) and most of the time simply cannot hear my students; I have partial hearing in the affected side but it is tinny, distorted.  My quality of life is decidedly not what it was pre-op, but inasmuch as I am sneaking up on my one-year surgery milestone, and have a decision to make about more surgery to fix my droopy face, I thought I'd see what kinds of procedures have worked for others and what should be avoided like the plague.  I don't need any more problems, that's for sure!  I had great surgeons, and would recommend them to anyone, however, I don't think I was in any way prepared for the reality of life after facial nerve surgery.  I haven't been able to connect with anyone who had the kind of tumor I did; if anyone knows of other facial nerve tumor patients, I'd love to talk with them!

nancyann:
Hi hollyjo:   My facial nerve was also cut & reanastamosed also.    I was told by Dr. Byrne that the nerve grafts really work best for the 'younger' patients - I'm  15 1/2 months with no signs of regenerating.  In a post called 'plastic surgery' under this facial issues, I recently decided to go with Dr. Byrne at Johns Hopkins for a Temporalis Tendon Transfer(T3) - I'll have a closed mouth smile when I bite down; will still have paralysis, but I will look 'normal' - he'll also do a facelift, browlift, eyelid work, etc.
I still have balance issues, certainly not as bad as when 1st post op; when I have to bend down I squat to pick soemething up, if I just bent at the waist I'd probably end up going foward also! - not fun.  I also have NO ENERGY, seems to have gotten worse - by the time I get home from work I'm practically crying from the fatigue, I feel like my life has been taken away from me.  I use to take 'active' vacations a few times a year - I want to get back to the old me...    I also wasn't prepared for any of this post op mess - I WAS told about it by the surgeons, but who thinks it will happen to them? - 5% chance???    Well, I'm one of the 5%.   The eye issues are awful - constantly putting in lubricant, difficulty seeing for work, freaking out whenever an eyelash lands in my eye & trying to get it out.   I just bought Ocusoft eye cleanser (thanks 4!) - over a year of lubricant attached to my eyelashes - I can't begin to tell you the shape my eyelashes are in - hope the stuff works! - I'll give anything a try!   Well, that's that, what can we do but keep moving foward & hope our future decisions will make this AN business easier to live with.
Take care,  Nancy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version