Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Questions about swelling

(1/3) > >>

zjane:
Hi all -

2 questions about swelling post FSR.

I've read that swelling usually occur 6-18mo. post FSR.  Does that mean the tumor will keep getting bigger due to the swelling up till 18 month?  or does it mean the swelling will start around 6 month and disappear before 18 months post FSR?

How much swelling is to be expected?  I've read 2mm but from another post 6mm.  Any ideas?

ppearl214:
Hi zjane,

Ok, for me... (and will see how others chime in)..... initial tumor swelling began in the first 6 mos (granted, I had CK, not FSR).  My last MRI in Oct '06, which was 8 mos post CK, found that my AN had a slight decrease in size.  Like you, I have also heard from 6 mos to 1-1/2 yrs.  Mine might slightly swell down the road and I'm prepared for that, but as long as the DNA of the growth is dead, that works for me.

Hang in there... will see how others respond as well.

Phyl

zjane:
Hi Phyl,

Thanks for the speedy reply. 

I'm beginning to think my FSR had failed, my 9 mo. MRI showed 2mm increase all around however with signs of necrosis.  Today I had my 14.5 mo. MRI and it's bigger than 5 month ago!  However I can see more "shadows" on the AN.  I'm so confused.  How can one tell if it's re-growth vs. swelling from the MRI?  The thoughts of having to wait another 6 mo. is ... uhhh!

I haven't received the report and am feeling sick to my stomach.  I've mailed out the CD to my FSR doc and will let you know what he has to say.

Thanks,
Jane

ppearl214:
Hi Jane,

This is only my opinion, so take it for the 2 cents its worth.... we know MRI's on AN's have a +/- 2mm, so as you did not state what the size difference was between the 9 mos and 5 months later (what it is now), I cannot directly reply.  Yes, it may swell just a hint bit more, but also, does the size differential fall in line with the +/-2mm?  As for the necrosis, well, for me (and only me), that is the key. 

You note you don't have the report yet, so let me ask you this... was the MRI done at the same location as the past MRI's?  Did you ask for a copy of the report?  Maybe when the report comes in, it may note "more rim enhanced growth" (necrosis) or some other wording to help put you at ease.  For me, difficult to state since it sounds like you glanced at your films unless the MRI tech/radiologist noted something in particular to you.

Again, just my 2 cents... bet someone else has thoughts worth more.

Phyl

zjane:
Hi Phyl,

Thanks!  First please excuse my bad English and it gets worth when I'm stressed.

To clarify, no I have yet received any writen report.  I only took the scan and looked at it on my computer.  The software has a measuring tool so I used it to get the sizes. 

Two dimensions were sightly increased by 1.x mm.  One dimension went from 0.98 to 1.35.  That's just way too much!

My problem with the +/- is unfortunately Since the diagonosis this has been my 5th MRI (initial diagnosis, wait and watch follow up, base line pre FSR, follow-up 1 and follow-up 2)  I have yet received any number that's less than the prior scan.  I'm very discouraged.

And I forgot to mention, last time the report was written, it had stated growth.  The FSR doc said it was inconclusive and could be due to swelling and he had seen signs of necrosis.  So I don't know who to believe.

Thanks again for the two cents (although I think it worthed more than 2c  :) ).  I'll let you know what happens.  Thank you it's nice to have someone bounce ideas with at this time.

regards,
Jane

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version