Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Is Gamma knife too good to be true?

(1/7) > >>

Sefra22:
I thought I had made my decision to have surgery, but the more research I do on Gamma knife, the better it sounds. From what I've read, there is no nerve damage, only one night hospital stay, and back to your life much sooner. But I wonder, what are the downsides? I can't seem to find any info on the risks, other than that the tumor is still there and may swell for a time. I would appreciate any info.

IAHeel:
Lisa,

My wife had successful translab surgery at the House Ear Clinic in LA yesterday. She had a 1.9 cm AN, with significantly reduced hearing going in. We took a lot of time researching the options. Drs. Friedman and Schwartz both recommended surgery, but discussed the trade-offs with us in great detail. They know the research and are world-class surgeons. Radiosurgery and microsurgery are both reasonable alternatives, but there is a lot to consider.  For what it's worth, House is amazing and was well worth us traveling from Iowa to LA.

Good luck to you!

Fred Moore

ppearl214:
Hi Sefra

do you have access to the ANA Newsletters (are you an ANA member)?

We just received this month's issue of the newsletter (not yet posted on the ANA home webpage/link for newletters). There is a terrific main story write up about the different radio-treatment options, some pros and cons to all.... and as many have us have learned, no treatment is full proof.  Risks involved, regardless of which radio-treatment can include dizziness, balance issues, further loss of hearing (usually within 5-7% of hearing at time of treatment), etc.

If you don't have access to the newsletter, you can email the site/director here or let us know here and will see about getting you the copy of the article.  It was very insightful in its discussion of all forms of radio.

Phyl

Derek:
Hi there Phyl...

I would also greatly appreciate any advice re obtaining access to the relevant article on GK treatment if you could kindly direct me to what I have to do etc.

Regards

Derek

ppearl214:
Hi Derek,

Well, I can scan the article and try to post somewhere..... let me see what I can do. It was a terrific article.  Will advise.

Phyl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version