General Category > AN Issues

Did I go back to work too early?

<< < (2/2)

Kathleen_Mc:
I remember my manager saying something similar......she said I seemed angry.....I responded "let's cut you head open and see how you feel".....also I have been acaused of ignoring people or "not caring" when in fact I didn't hear them.....also someone once claimed I faked my hearing impairment for some reason!
Just continue to do the best you can and like someone else said ask your manager to put her comments in writing and take that higher up!

ANGuy:
Let's change this up a bit.  Let's say you wore low-cut or tight tops to work everyday.   Then,  you need a mastectomy.   Would that woman be telling you that your evaluation is being brought down because you are now wearing loose fitting tops?   Nope!  Everybody would be wearing those pink ribbons and calling you a hero!

This post is meant to be humorous.   But, it does show the group-think that can go on.  People trip over themselves to be a part of a cause celeb, but when it comes time for some genuine compassion they are no where to be found.

This is only some people.  This is a minority.   I told my immediate boss and our plant manager that I had a serious medical issue and that in the near future I would be taking time off for appointments.   They were both genuinely shaken up.

Medical issues are a tough nut for a lot of people.   Some are cold-hearted , some are compassionate,  and some just go into a weird type of denial.  They can't face their own vulnerability that is personified right across the table from them that your tumor is.

comfortzone:
Thank you for all of your sage advice! As it turns out I went back to work full time too early. When I saw my GP last week she signed me off work again.

I`ve since found a physiotherapist who specializes in vestibular rehab with whom I had an assessment last Friday. She's given me some exercises to do to help retrain my brain (or make me dizzy and nauseated, not sure which). I have a reassessment in two weeks after which time she will recommend a course of action regarding returning to work, continued therapy etc.

I did ask my manager to provide her feedback to me in writing, and subsequently had a very supportive discussion with the HR representative who was fantastic. All in all a decent outcome but still some work ahead until I`m ready to return. I want to make sure I`m as good as possible before trying again now that I know what I need to be prepared for.

I hear you ANGuy - I`ve often wondered how different it would be if I had a more `commercially acceptable illness`. Our office supports all kinds of charities and when I`ve mentioned collecting for AN in the past I get looked at as if I`ve got two heads.

Oh well, back to my exercises  ;D Thanks again everyone!

seandimom:
Hi comfort zone and company! I really appreciated your post and the great feedback you received.  I'm glad you got the work eval in writing, and I'm glad you're doing vestibular therapy.  I also really liked what Tod wrote---for every hour of general anesthesia, allow about a month recovery time.  That sure makes sense to me.  I think a lot of the horrible general blah feeling I have--weirdness in my throat, chest, edge of nausea, no strong appetite, etc--is because of 8 or so hours of being out of it with that anesthesia.  This whole ordeal has taken its toll not only on me, but on my teenage son, who is being extra aggressive and stubborn and fighting with my husband daily.  It's over a month for me post op-I am easing into work part time--lots of computer work at home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version