Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Radiation for fast-growing tumor?

(1/1)

RGG:
Hello,

I've been monitoring the regrowth of my AN after surgery for several years, it was growing quite slowly (~1mm/year), so I was happy to watch it for a few more years before taking action. This turned out to be a bad mistake, as over the past year it suddenly grew around 8 mm (total about 1.4 x 0.7 cm now) and exited the IAC.  My surgeon previously recommended I do radiation for the regrowth.  I read however that fast-growing tumors have a much lower success rate with radiation (closer to 70% instead of >90%), so I'm thinking if I should consider a second surgery instead.  I'm meeting with a GK radiologist next week, but I'm not sure if they will consider this fast growth rate or tell me to do radiation anyway.

Has anyone had experience with doing radiation on a rapidly growing tumor?  Or had a radiologist mention to them that they don't recommend radiation for a rapidly growing tumor?

thank you in advance,
Rumen

bfoley:
Greetings Rumen -

I hesitate to answer your question.  Please remember everyone's journey is different. I can only let you know my journey and it is in no way any advice to you!

Feb 2019 tumor diagnosed. consulted U of MN and Mayo.  Decided on Mayo.  Both gave the option for either Gamma or surgery.  Decided I would rather not open my head up if I didn't have to.

July 2019 Gamma at Mayo.  Knowing that it was fast growing they calculated the highest safe dose.  Follow up MRIs annually - showed some dying, but Nov 2022 MRI clearly indicated death of only 1 side of the tumor - the other side continuing growth. Surgery recommended now as a second dose of radiation would likely have same outcome.

Worried for surgery as radiation can turn tumors "sticky".  January 2023 Mayo surgery to remove the tumor - surgeons feel like they got it all!  Doing very well post surgery!  Now MRIs only every 2 years.

You need to weigh the risks and benefits for you.  No one else will have your exact tumor or circumstances.

PEACE!!

DodgeAU:
G'day Rumen, I had a GK treatment on my fast growing AN on the left.

Before treatment, it grew 3 times in size in 3 years. I consulted both surgeons and radiation oncologists and decided to go to the GK path. I believe radiation is a great option for fast growing AN though depends on your age, health, and other circumstances.

I did my GK two years ago and so far the AN is continuing to subside (or die?). My treating doctors have told me that if in the future I will encounter re-growth, they can perform another GK. Always good to have a plan B for peace of mind but I'm optimistic and keep staying positive.

I suggest you consult for second or third opinions and weigh the risks and rewards that is more suitable and acceptable for you.

All the best with whatever decision you choose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version