General Category > AN Issues

MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tobeycat1134:
Both of my MRIs were done with contrast. I sent my records to House and USC. Both Dr. Friedman and Dr. Brackman said they had no doubt that it is indeed an AN. In fact it was also present on my 2014 MRI and missed when it was read. Dr. Brackman measured my tumor at 12mm x 5mmx 5mm.  Both Dr. Brackman and Dr. Friedman have recommended that I have it removed by Middle Fossa approach in order to maintain my hearing.  Now the decision is where to go.  My plans are to have the surgery the beginning of July. 

ANSydney:
Congratulations. Your tumor grew from 9 x 4 x 4 mm to 12 x 5 x 5 mm on the same MRI  :) Given that significant growth is often defined as more than 2 mm of growth, you have significant growth in "zero" time!

Do you see the tumor yourself on the 2014 MRI? What are your symptoms like?

The current conventional wisdom appears to be to do a 6 month and yearly MRI to establish growth rate for tumors under 20 mm in largest diameter. In Denmark, 95% of those with a tumor under 20 mm are put on wait-and-scan. ( http://acusticusneurinom.dk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/natural-history-of-vs.pdf Fig 1 ).

alabamajane:
Congrats on making a treatment decision and for consulting two of the most well respected doctors in the business of ANs,
It is not unusual to get different measurements from different medical professionals ,, especially doctors versus radiologists,, mine was read as different sizes by the radiologist and my neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon saw many more ANs than the radiologist.

As far as facilities or doctor choice,, can't help you there,, but don't think you would go wrong with either one. Both have excellent reputations!

Good luck,,,

Tobeycat1134:
I did see the AN on the 2014 MRI, once I knew where to look.  My symptoms include hearing loss, tinnitus, headaches and slight tingling in my lower lip and chin.  Dr. Brackmann thinks my headaches are due to balance issues (even though I have not noticed a balance issue).

ANSydney:
How bad are your symptoms? Can you wait 6 months for a follow-up MRI to establish it's growth pattern?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version