General Category > AN Issues

Anxiety increase symptoms ???

(1/2) > >>

tatianne:
I have been under a lot of stress lately for various reasons and suddenly Im more concerned about my AN then ever... Im under wait and watch, my next MRI will be in January 2008.
Lately my other ear has been feeling full, itchy and achy. Hearing seems to be the same and no tinnitus. I clench my teeth a lot when Im under stress. Both ears are feeling itchy and achy. Im trying not to assume the worst.. My last MRI was 6 months ago, An had small growth and the other ear was clear. Could something grow this quickly and cause symptoms already in the other ear. ?? Does anyone else ever feel symptoms and worry about the healthy ear ??
Thanks guys and girls

Dealy:
I believe your concerns are valid. However understand that your own stress and anxiety can exaggerate or compound symptoms that in reality do not exist. Example. I am an NF2 that had a left sided AN removed in 1988 in my left ear. My new tumor is in the right ear. On my 6 month MRI I had never given a thought to my old tumor etc.because it never gave me any problems. On my 6 month MRI the Radiologist that read it said their was evidence of re-growth on this tumor on the left. OH MY GOSH. In fact this was not the case at all. Every symptom became a concern including when that ear ached and itched. I am one year out from radiation on my treated right ear and my last MRI showed no evidence of regrowth on that left side. There is reason for concern of  course always- but in my case it was for nothing on the left side. It is no doubt easy to say but hard to do. However for your own mental health and physical health I would encourage you too lay these fears aside.Stress and anxiety can cause so many related complications of the body. It is hard too just forget that one has an AN and protect what you have left. I hope and pray you can come too terms and trust thall ALL your anxiety and stress will not change one thing. Here is hoping that you can trust that their are no problems with your good ear. Heck both ears still continue to itch  for me etc. Build up of wax I found. Thanks-Ron

Betsy:
Hi Tatianne,

Since my diagnosis last April, I'm constantly wondering if my symptoms are coming from the AN, from anxiety, or a combination of both.  I've been trying to deal with each symptom individually and hopefully get a handle on the situation.  For example, I started clenching again too (thought I kicked that habit years ago), so my dentist made me a new bite guard.  There has been a lot of changes in the 20 years since my last one was made, and the new bite guard is both comfortable and effective.  Then I asked my primary care doc for something to help with the insomnia and that's improving slowly.  I used the employee assistance plan at work and had a couple free sessions with a counselor too.  In addition, I'm making a real effort to eat healthier.

Now that I'm sleeping better and don't have shooting pains in my jaw/neck/head, some of my other symptoms have started to fade:  the nausea, eye twitching, shakiness, and headaches are almost gone.  What I'm left with is tinnitus, balance problems and a tingly tongue.  The anxiety is still there, but I'm managing.

Have you seen your doctor about the new symptoms?  As Dealy says, it could be something as simple as wax build-up.  It wouldn't hurt to have another MRI now, rather than waiting 'til January.  You'll feel better when you know what's going on, if anything.

How long have you been waiting & watching?

Betsy

tatianne:
the symptoms just started over the past week or so, just after an anxiety increase, thats why Im questioning myself. I made an appointment with my Neurotologist, unfortunalty there is nothing available until August 12, four weeks from now. Im going to ask him to order an MRI for sooner then January, I find a year really long.
I was diagnosed in July 2006, so just a year ago. I had a follow up MRI in January 2007 which showed some gowth but the Neuro thought we should wait because he feels that it could stop growing.
Betsy, what kind of symptoms does your clenching cause ?? Ive been clenching a lot because of stress amd I read that it can affect your ears very much. Both of my ears are suddenly having more symptoms then usual. Im also a little congested which seems to be making things worse.
I know how you feel with the anxiety, I realize I shouldnt worry about things I cant control and Im really working on it, sometimes its really difficult to control my thoughts.
Thanks Dealy for your response. Much appreciated.
Hugs

Betsy:
Tatianne, when the clenching was uncontrolled I'd have jaw and neck pain, headaches and sore cheeks, not to mention sensitive teeth and gums.  Sometimes after a bad night, I couldn't open my mouth all the way for a couple hours.  I could feel it in my ears to a lesser degree, but it was different than the "fullness" of the AN.   My old bite guard just went over my back teeth, and kept them from touching but it didn't keep me from biting down.  It wasn't very comfortable either, and I admit my compliance wasn't very good.  The new one is a clear plastic mold that fits over the four teeth on the bottom front.  I can hardly feel it, and it keeps my back teeth apart which seems to stop the impluse to bite down.  It's called NTI, for nociceptive trigeminal inhibition device.  I felt relief after the first night, and after wearing it for a month my clenching-related symptoms were practically gone.  It's one of the FEW things that have gone well lately!!  Let me know if you want more info.

Betsy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version