AN Community > AN Community

I'm scared

(1/5) > >>

Tinu:
I'm sorry, I don't know where else to go. I'm trying to be so strong for my DH and his mom. A year and a half ago my mother in law was diagnosed with AN. It wasn't very big, 1.8 cm, and due to her age, they decided to watch it.
Now last measurement is 2.5 cm, still not huge, but in the past 6 weeks she's gone from completely mobile and active, to completely immoble, confused and can't even write. Last Friday we brought her to the ER because she fell. Now, she's at the best neurosurgery hospital in the area. They're going to put a shunt in tonight to relieve some intercranial swelling she's had recently. After that, we'll see about when to have the surgery to take the AN out. Both drs agree that it needs to be taken out now.

I'm scared. I just want her back to normal, and be able to recognize us after all this is done.

bostAN:
Tinu -  Hang in there.  I'm 39 and I was just diagnosed last week.  Ask the surgeons lots of questions .... find out how many ANs they have removed, etc.  Good luck!

Dfcman:
God be with you Tinu.  I'm sorry you have to turn to this site.  The people on here are very helpful and super nice though.  Not that any type of similar scenario's, this place is a good place to turn.   Our prayers are with you and your family.

Battyp:
Tinu, keeping you in my prayers!  Ask the doctors how many AN surgeries they have performed.  Just because they are neurologist doesn't mean they see any.  On the bright side there have been some people on here who were in worse shape and are doing ok after surgery.  I hesitate to use the word just fine as I don't think any of us are 'just' fine since our treatments we learn to adapt and move on as best we can!  She will need lots of love and patience to get through this..remember to take time out for you and your family too! 

Tinu:
We're in Boston. Mom got moved to the White building in MGH. Her doctor is McKenna, which I've read on here has some really good reviews from people here. I'm not sure who the surgeon will be though, but I'm sure there's probably one or two he works with on a daily basis.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version