Post-Treatment > Headaches

headache associated with acoustic neuroma

(1/2) > >>

marjoryb:

The March 2007 issue of the Acoustic Neuroma Association Notes , issue 101 has an article about headaches.   I recommend it to anyone comtemplating surgery.      I, unfortunately, think I have fallen under the "chronic phase" of post-op headaches as I'm 8 months out of surgery and have found very little relief..   it scares me to think that I may have to deal with this pain for 2, 5 or 10 years, but I have hope.    Of importance in this article is the type of surgical approach used for the surgery - mine was subocciptal which results in more frequent and severe post-op headaches; other surgical approaches have fewer incidences.   

Marjoryb

Jim Scott:

--- Quote from: marjoryb on March 20, 2007, 09:42:14 am ---

The March 2007 issue of the Acoustic Neuroma Association Notes , issue 101 has an article about headaches.   I recommend it to anyone comtemplating surgery.  Unfortunately, I think I've fallen under the "chronic phase" of post-op headaches.  I'm 8 months out of surgery and have found very little relief.   it scares me to think that I may have to deal with this pain for 2, 5 or 10 years, but I have hope.  Of importance in this article is the type of surgical approach used for the surgery - mine was subsuboccipital which results in more frequent and severe post-op headaches; other surgical approaches have fewer incidences.   

Marjoryb
--- End quote ---

Mary:

I know that's the accepted medical consensus.  However, I had retrosigmoid approach microsurgery (see my signature) and suffered no headaches at all.  I'm now 10 months post-op.  I attribute my lack of headaches and overall successful recovery to prayer and an excellent neurosurgeon with many years of experience removing AN tumors.

I regret that you are in pain and pray that your headaches will soon subside or at least become infrequent and treatable.

Jim

Larry:
Mary,

As I am sure you have read a number of posts here, there are a lot of people that have headaches and those that don't.

Personally, I'm one of the unlucky ones and have been searching for a stop to the pain for 4 years now. You do learn top live with it except from time to time, like any normal migraine (not from a head op) it does get to you.

Keep searching, explore different options, maybe even Botox. One poster her is on a botox trial and she believes, thus far, that it helps. There are loads of different options from prescription drugs (I have found neurontin to be a help) through to accupuncture, cortizone, physio around the neck region and there must be some so called natural treatments as well.

Don't despair, hopefully, you will find relief.

Laz

Static:
I had suboccipital AN removal and currently suffer from daily headaches although taking meds that are providing some relief and do have to say that I did have these headaches prior to the surgery so I can't say for sure whether or not the headaches are from the AN surgery, the AN, or from something else altogether!  I do know that weather changes make the headaches worse which, I was told, is a sign of migraines, but I was also told that I don't necessarily fall into the migraine category.  I think I pretty much have my doctor stumped.  Going to see what I can find out at the symposium.
~Karen

Featofclay:
Marjory,
So sorry to read that you are still having headaches.  I had headaches for several weeks after I first got home from my surgery but they are getting much better and I am not having them as often.  The green gel Advil stops them within 15 minutes for me.  As someone else mentioned, the weather plays a big part in my headaches as well and did even prior to my surgery.  Hope yours will improve and go away completely.
Jean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version