General Category > AN Issues

any natural remedies to stop growth of AN?

<< < (2/5) > >>

CHD63:
Hi All .....

Interesting discussion on natural remedies .....  Just remember to make sure your primary care doctor and/or pharmacist knows everything you are taking, including prescription meds, herbs, vitamins, and supplements, so you do not have any unwanted interactions in medications. Sometimes even the time of day we ingest something or with/without food can make a big difference in the results.

Also, a tiny reminder that this forum is made up of AN patients and caregivers, not medical professionals, so we need to be "up front" with our individual doctors when starting something new.

Clarice

voron999:
Hi there!

Please do understand that the commercially sold Aspirin is compatible to the naturally occurring Salicylic Acid.
So what you really are talking about is synthetically made salicylic acid.
The "aspirin" is a commercial name, NOT a real chemical that exists in nature.
So now, IF one talks about about natural remedies, one should be talking of foods that contain salicylic acid.

For example:
A 100-gram serving (about 3 /4 cup) of red raspberries contains around 5 milligrams of salicylic acid.
From http://berryhealth.fst.oregonstate.edu/health_healing/fact_sheets/

Now, I understand that for most people just taking over-the- counter aspirin is the best option (and this is fine and personal choice).
But this is not really a natural remedy, to be really technical.
So I am just stating it here and now.  :)

And while at it, from: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/27-foods-that-contain-natural-aspirin.html

.........consider the many fruits, vegetables, and herbs that contain natural aspirin.....

Apples
Avocados
Blueberries
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cherries
Chili peppers
Cucumbers
Currants (including dried currants)
Dates
Eggplant
Figs
Grapefruit
Grapes
Kiwi
Licorice (the herb, not the candy)
Meadowsweet (an herb)
Paprika
Peaches
Plums and prunes
Radishes
Raspberries
Spinach
Strawberries
Turmeric (the spice)
Willow bark
Zucchini

Blw:
Look in the analgesic aisle at drug stores for heart specific aspirin. They have different levels, I think starting at around 80 mg, but there are higher dosages besides regular, which I think is 250 mg. Children's aspirin may be less than 80.

ANSydney:
At 5 mg of salicylic acid per 100 g of raspberries, you would need to eat 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) of raspberries per day to equal a quarter-tablet or baby aspirin dose [may need an adjustment between saliclylic acid and aspirin weights). That's a lost of raspberries! And perhaps expensive.

Much more convenient to just take a quarter tablet or baby strength tablet per day.

ANSydney:
Also, you need to discontinue aspirin before surgery (but then if you've elected for surgery, you no longer need to try stop your tumor from growing).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version