Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Tired, Tired Tired

(1/2) > >>

ceeceek:
Okay, although I had endo scopic..much less invasive technique, I am stilllllllllllllllllllll tired. and really somewhat foggy headed. Now this could be a combination of the fact that my eye nerve was a little affected by the surgery, and I am approaching that age where my eyes cannot make up their mind whether I am near sighted or far sighted......so that can jsut be a strain in general....but after reading various post etc. I really wonder if the tired and foggy feeling..inability to just think clearly, type writer hell, and mixed up words is more due to inner ear issues. Since I beleive allll of you are ANers, and the fact that an AN is indeed affecting your inner ear, where-as my little growth is not attached per say, but pressing on my inner ear.....
Can that be the cause of the whole, I am tired, foggy brained, cant speak or type half the time..vs the actual surgery?
Just throwing out the question
Ceeceek

tony:
err Yes, basically there are two or three reasons for fatigue
1. You dont mention when the OP was exactly - but just the meds can
give fatigue for weeks or months afterwards
2. Then there is the body healing process - in a post OP situation
the body works overtime to repair itself
(I lost 30 Lbs or more - just lying down - in a month ?)
3. Inner ear is very close to the balance part of the nerve
compression or swelling here can give some quite spectacular
results - its often easier to walk or stand with no nerve
at all - rather than one that is miss-firing
4. and finally if some kind of rewiring process has occurred
- some of lose a balance nerve - some find eye movement
is affected. The brain compensates somehow - and rewires
itself to function under the changed circumstances
This "extra" work is very tiring in the beginning
(check out threads marked "Post OP fatigue")
- you may be  using some parts of the brain rather more
than in the past
hope this helps
tony

Boppie:
Ceecee,
I had surgery in December and still had foggy headed feeling every mid day and by early evening throughout the next summer.  By 10 months post op I began to gather strength and I could think more clearly. 

I remember month 7 post op, well.  I was making every effort to help my daughter get packed for a move and I had to leave the whole moving van day to my husband and her.  I had go home by myself to just sleep. I wanted so much to help that day but I just couldn't keep my eyes open and my frustration level was nil.

It is amazing how much your body needs to rest after nerve surgery.

NF-2er:
Hi Ceeceek;

I'm on VEDA's support group also. Many there have problems with fatigue and don't, nor ever had an acoustic neuroma.
   I really do think inner ear surgery of any type is a life altering experience.
   Seems there is no more sensitive organ in the body and which affects multiple bodily systems than the inner ear.
   There are so many factors which contribute to our sense of well being!
   Hang in there and ~ flow ~ with your feelings. Rest when you need to and give yourself permission. Not sure how long since you've been to Skull Base Institute at Cedars Sinaii, was it? That's the only place I know of where endoscopic surgery of the cranium is performed.

NF-er

chopper:
I can totally vouch for the foggy and tiredness.  Especially in the beginning and upwards of 4-6 months later.

I got opened up last year, at the end of my 29th year, and it was weeks of being tired. It took a month to be able to go back to work, and several more for the foggyness to go, though it's debatable if it's ever reallly cleared up. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version