General Category > AN Issues

Hearing loss

<< < (2/2)

Sheba:

Some people choose to have surgery before their hearing is lost, in hopes to keep it.  I don't think there is a lot of good data with for example, hearing quality pre-surgery, and post-surgery 1 week, 6 months, 2 years etc.  I think some folks can hear post-op but maybe not that great,  and not sure if it holds up well down the road.

I was hoping they could save my hearing (retrosig in july) - I had 90% word discrimination pre-op but I lost 100% / am SSD post op.  I knew I had only like a 50/50 or maybe somewhat better chance to keep it, but lost it.  The surgery can cut off blood flow the auditory nerve, so even if the nerve is intact, you can still lose hearing.

i've seen quite a few other people post that their hearing was preserved post op, usually small and midsize tumors only - chance to save is worse as the tumor gets bigger.

If the tumor is still in there, some research shows it can damage hearing even when it's not growing because it secretes toxic byproducts.  Not all AN tumors do this apparently.

I'm finding SSD to be pretty tolerable, it's hard in some situations with lots of people and bad acoustics around you.  Most of the time it's not an issue for me.

Willbur:

--- Quote from: Sheba on October 16, 2016, 10:06:18 pm ---
Some people choose to have surgery before their hearing is lost, in hopes to keep it.  I don't think there is a lot of good data with for example, hearing quality pre-surgery, and post-surgery 1 week, 6 months, 2 years etc.  I think some folks can hear post-op but maybe not that great,  and not sure if it holds up well down the road.

I was hoping they could save my hearing (retrosig in july) - I had 90% word discrimination pre-op but I lost 100% / am SSD post op.  I knew I had only like a 50/50 or maybe somewhat better chance to keep it, but lost it.  The surgery can cut off blood flow the auditory nerve, so even if the nerve is intact, you can still lose hearing.

i've seen quite a few other people post that their hearing was preserved post op, usually small and midsize tumors only - chance to save is worse as the tumor gets bigger.

If the tumor is still in there, some research shows it can damage hearing even when it's not growing because it secretes toxic byproducts.  Not all AN tumors do this apparently.

I'm finding SSD to be pretty tolerable, it's hard in some situations with lots of people and bad acoustics around you.  Most of the time it's not an issue for me.

--- End quote ---

Well if you lost you hearing on retrosigmoid then I will most likely lose mine with 2.3cm tumor  :(

WhatnotGems:
Last year I could use a hearing aid to enhance the hearing in my right ear. I have had hearing issue with the right ear for 4 years. I found out in June I have an AN. In August I was told the AN ear has no usable hearing, I with the hearing aid I cannot understand. I have found not wear a hearing aid in my AN ear helps with my comprehension when talking to others.
I have not had surgery or Ck, I am on the watch and wait.
right side facial pain, wonky when turning head, depression, headaches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version