Useful Information > Physicians

Top 'Neurotology surgeon & 'Neuro surgeon' in US, with massive exp. in AN

(1/6) > >>

nimmy:

December 2006, I was diagnosed with acoustic neuroma in left side. I had a hearing loss in the ear. Only 20% hearing left in that ear. I am a software engineer of 42 years old. Tumor size is 1.9 X 1.4 X 0.9 CM
Still I could digest /convince my self, I had a tumor in my head

I live in Connecticut.

I met
DR. Philip E stieg ( neuro surgeon) , Samuel Selesnick (otolaryngology)  in new york presibitarian hospital of NYC.

Dr. kalmon post (neuro surgeon), sujana Chandra sekhar( neurotologist) in Mount Sinai hospital of NYC

Couple of days ago I spoke to Dr. Brackmann (Otoloryngology) and Dr. Hitselberger (neuro surgeon) on phone of house Ear Clinic of Los angeles. I mailed out my MRI CD to them.

All these doctors suggested surgery inclusive of Dr. Brackmann (Otoloryngology) and Dr. Hitselberger , because of my age and tumor size.

I took paid member ship in http://www.castleconnolly.com and http://www.mdnationwide.org/, which will display state wise best doctors.( if any body want to know the top doctors in  a particular state, I can provide that information)

I took complete doctors profile related to few doctors through http://www.healthgrades.com
( If any body want these reports I can email them)

Questions:
1) I want to know the Top 2 doctors in neurotology and top 2 doctors in neuro surgery in the US ( what I sthe source to find) , not on the basis of state wise, who will do exclusively or majority of Acoustic neuromas. I do not want to keep insurance barrier or location barrier. I am ready to spend money. My hearing preservation is also very important for me. I want to make sure I am going to top notch surgeon in the US , so that chances of preserving my Hearing or chances of saving my nerves including auditory nerve will be more.

2) How practical it is to travel to a location which is more than 3 hours drive from the living place. Because in this forum , I Read that few guys traveled from east cost to west coast ( House ear Clinic, Los angeles)

Please help me.

jtd71465:
Unfortunately even if you got the "best of the best" it's no guarantee that your hearing will be saved.  I would also mention that you should go and see Roland and Golfinos out of NYU Medical Center.

Joe-

Jwh:
Hi,

I have a consultation with Dr. Post on 5/15.  I have a doctor in the family who suggested that I meet with Dr. Post.  He is believed to be one of the best neurosurgeons.  I know he is considered to be top notch.  Please tell me what your experience was with him.

Thanks,
jen

littlemissrory:
There are many fantastic Neurotology and NeuroSurgeon teams around the US that do AN's.  Finding "the absolute best" is still an individual decision.  The best doctor in the world for you may not be the best one for me, and vise versa.  It's important to find a highly qualified AN surgeon who you feel comfortable with and works well with you. 

Personally for me the best is Dr. Mangham and Dr Steege in Seattle.  I had no hearing loss before surgery but was told up front I would be deaf afterwards.  He was able to save my hearing...but like Joe said there are NO guarentees.  Mine was a rather unique scenario- as I speak with people as soon as they learn I had an AN and I'm not deaf they're amazed.  And I am very grateful.  But I had accepted the fact that there are no guarentees.

There are many fantastic docs...people throughout this forum have had great successes from many different places.  Best of luck in your search and decision making.

Rory

TP:
Well I can't help you with finding the best Dr's. In my case I needed surgery quickly and there were not too many neurosurgeons located in my area at that time. Good news is I liked my Dr!

I will share with you when you do have your surgery and you are released from the hospital I don't think you will want to take a 3 hour trip home. I would suggest staying in that area for a while until you feel like you are ready for the trip home. Everyone recovers and handles pain differently. 

I am sorry you are in this situation. I wish you the best in finding a Dr you feel comfortable with and pray your surgery is successful!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version