General Category > Insurance

Canada/England - universal healthcare

(1/3) > >>

goinbatty:
For those that live where universal/national healthcare is provided, could you briefly describe how the system works - how is it funded (taxes/employers?), how the physician referral process works, what is required for authorization of procedures, etc.  In the US, this is a huge issue with the elections coming up.  I work for an insurance company and am very curious to hear from those that actually rely on that type of healthcare system.  Thanks in advance. 

yardtick:
Okay, here in Ontario we have a health payroll tax.  Our employers submit the deductions and they also are taxed a percentage.  We have a health card that has our picture on it.  The newer ones also have a halo gram of our picture in the bottom right corner.  The back has our home address and a magnetic strip.  When we go to the Dr's or to the hospital we present the card.  The clerk than swipes the strip and all of your info comes up on a computer screen.  The clerk than asks questions to verify that all you info is the same.  Their computer system is linked up to OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).  All of the billing is done thru the computer.  Our family Dr's are paid monthly whether or not you visit the office. 

I personally have never had any trouble getting a referral.  I was seeing an ENT in the city I live and he did my first surgery.  Since he could only debulk the tumour on my facial nerve he referred me to a neurosurgeon.  This man had the personality of lint and the bedside manner of a Hitler.  I was not happy.  I was terrified and desperate and I stumbled across this forum.  One of our dear members PM me and asked where in Ont I lived.  I told her and see gave me the name and e-mail of her Dr.  I e-mailed him and he got back to me and said to have my family Dr refer me and he would gladly see me.  I had an appointment in 5 weeks.  I had to drive to Toronto, which is a major city with several outstanding hospitals.  (This Dr has two other brother's, one is a heart surgeon and the other is a pediatric neurosurgeon.  Proud parents I'm sure.)  He spent almost two hrs with my husband I.  He went thru my CT scans and MRI's, he was amazing.  OHIP paid for everything. 

I have extend benefits from work.  That covers all of my med's.  I pay $3.00 per script.  $250 every two yrs for glass and $1500 per yr for dental.  Root canals and bridges are covered and are above the $1500.  My husband and my fours sons are all covered under me as long as they are in school until the age of 25.  $500 physio, orthotics, so much more I can't remember it all I need my booklet.

Well I hope I answered some of your questions,
Anne Marie

Denisex2boys:
Ditto to Anne Marie - - I am in Ontario as well and I can be referred to whomever I may suggest ...... all medical is covered - my Neuro. and (2) ENT's seem absolutely WONDERFUL!  I am also in a plan at work that also covers my entire family for .... perscriptions at 80% covered as is the dentist ..... I get $750. worth or chiro., massage therapy, podiatrist, naturopath, per calendar year.  Eye coverage (glasses) is $250. every two years.  I may also be able to put in a claim for SSD - we'll see!

tony:
Hmm - In the UK we are taxed close to infinity
- Gas is 11-12 bucks per gallon,
 income tax at 40% plus a 10% pension levy kicks in
at about 25% above the "average" wage
many of our pensioners pay tax on the very benefits
that the same govt dept hands out.....
and many goods carry a 17.5% purchase tax
That said, the healthcare is "almost" free
- a two year wait for psycological support is not uncommon ?
(this is a weak part of the service)
MRI/surgery/radiowork is free (which is good)
Private stuff exists here .......but only Royals can afford it
Happy Day
Tony

goinbatty:
Thanks for the info.  This election year is getting more interesting as time goes on.  At this point, who knows what willl happen. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version