General Category > Inquiries

Where to begin ...

(1/3) > >>

Krystine:
Hello,

It is wonderful to find this forum for the support offered.

Long story here ... in 1987 I had a sudden hearing loss accompanied by tinnitus. ENT said it was sudden idiopathic hearing loss. I accepted it and bought hearing aids. In 1988, I had some dizziness and headaches which lasted about 3 months. Saw another ENT, he wanted me to have and MRI ... I couldn't ... he sent me to a neurologist who said I must be depressed. Life went on.

About 2 years ago, I started having dizziness when getting up. It went away after a few months, came back, went away but in January it came back along with a strange feeling in my head and lasted during the day, not just upon arising. Since then I have had constant headache and balance issues.

I saw an ENT a few weeks ago and he is rather certain I have an acoustic neuroma. Hearing in both ears is not good (with the right ear distorted) and both having tinnitus. First Doc wanted to do ABR and ENG and I see him next week for those results. He also said I will need an MRI. And there in lies the big problem and why I am most likely going to check out by acoustic neuroma. An MRI is simply not doable for me. I have many serious phobias such as agoraphobia, anxiety/panic disorder and most significant - serious claustrophobia. I am 62 and a very large lady  ;)

Home is about an hour and a half out of Philadelphia. It looks like there are some good options there but I know no doctor is going to treat without an MRI. My ENT said CT scan with contrast will not show an AN. I had a CT of the head with contrast a few years ago and even that made me panicky but I knew they were quick and the "thing" was not always over the face.

Thanks for letting me vent here ... you are all so courageous and I wish you all well with whatever treatment you may choose. And I am always open to suggestions if anyone has one for one scared old gal ;D

Krys

Joef:
one of the first things when I told my father of the AN was ... "you where in one of those MRI machines!, they would have to sedate me to get me in one" ... he is very claustrophobic!    they do have some new "open" ones that are a little bigger.. and could they sedate you? .. I'm no doctor, but as long as you dont move.. any meds you might on should not effect the scan... personally, its the sound of them I dont like, likes its going to break or something..... ;D

matti:
Hi Krystine -  As Joef said, there are MRI's that are open on both sides, so the feeling of claustrophobia should not be a problem, also someone can sit next to you if that makes you feel more comfortable.  The room is well lit and the techs talk to you throughout the proceedure. Go visit one of these facilities and ask for a looksee, I know they will be more than happy to accomodate you and help put you at ease.  MRI tech's are very sensitive to patients needs and fears.

I generally take a valium or two to help calm me down and so that I don't focus on moving, and I somtimes don't remember being pulled out for my injection, nor do I remember the rest of the day ;)  When I had my first MRI in 1998, the scan took almost 50 minutes, but since then, new machines (closed) have come out that now only take 20 minutes including injection.  I am claustophobic and also suffer from panic attacks, I was very nervous for my first MRI, but sailed through it and since then have had 8 more post op.

Hugs,
Cheryl

Obita:
Hi Krystine:

Welcome!!

I needed to get an MRI many years ago for a shoulder injury.  I felt the same way as you as I was extremely claustrophobic.  I blame my brother.  He rolled me up in a large rug when I was a kid. 

Anyway, for this MRI (this was way before the wonderful invention of open sided MRI) I told my Dr. that the only possible way I could do it would be with the help of drugs.  So, with some valium in two doses before the test, I couldn't have cared less what they did to me.  Now, I have MRIs yearly and I don't even request the open sided machine because it is no big deal to me.  You will always have the "get me out of here" button in your hand if you really need to escape.  The only problem with the escape route, is you will need to go back in and finish.  The films are done in 3 to 7 or so minute intervals so it is not like you have to keep quiet and keep still for the whole time.  The tech will talk to you in between and they always ask if you are ok etc....

I am sorry to say, if you want to know FOR SURE, one way or the other, you will need the MRI with contrast.   

Good luck to you Krys.  I am living proof that the MRI machine phobia can be overcome.  Elevators?  I'm in last, out first and hate every second of it.   ;D   Kathy

johnsli:
I am also a large lady with severe claustropobia, fear of heights and needles.  So I was a mess.  I was shaking all over before the test.
What I did, is before they closed the catchers mitt, I closed my eyes, and kept them closed the whole time.  I said many, many prayers during the 45 minute test.  After the first 30 minutes, they brought me out for the injection.  I didn't have any medication and just dealt with it.  The techs did talk to me throughout the test.  I got through it, and I knew after the test was over that they saw something, they didn't say it, but, they were very different than before the test.  My results were ready in 24 hours.  I also had a copy of the test to take home.  I saw the tumor, but, I didn't want to believe it.  Thankfully, I have to go for another MRI on 6/20, and if there is no growth, they will wait another 3 to 6 months and check it again.  YOu have done the right thing by joining the forum.  They are the best.

LOL
Laura

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version