General Category > Inquiries

Has anyone heard this?

(1/2) > >>

BeJoi:
On Tuesday, the neurosurgeon I saw told me that if you wait and watch an AN, 1/3 of them will shrink, 1/3 of them will remain the same, and 1/3 of them will grow.  Has anyone else ever heard this?

Beverly

Derek:
Hi Beverly...

Being a 'wait and watcher' I have also 'heard' that the older you get the growth rate of the AN diminishes albeit my GK neuro is pesimistic that I will probably require 'management' at some time in the future!

I am now 63 and into my 6th year since diagnosis.  My recent annual MRI scan indicated no increase in the growth rate and no change in the consistency so I remain optimistic that I may never require medical intervention. I  like the odds you quote re 66% chance that my AN will either shrink or remain the same...here's hoping!

I would be interested to know if your neuro has any stats to substantiate the facts that he quoted to you?

Derek

BeJoi:
Hi Derek,

That's great news about you.  He didn't quote any statistics and I'm not sure if or when I'll be seeing him again to ask.  I'm 49 next month, so I'm not sure how old you have to be before it may stop growing or even shrink.  It makes me wonder if there's a hormone connection.  If anyone knows of any research about this please let us know.

Thanks,

Beverly

Derek:
I raised this query with the esteemed Doc Medbery over on the CKPSG board and he responded as follows:-

(quote)These statistics are not accurate. Only a small percentage (6-8%) will spontaneously regress. About half will grow and half will not. Average rate of growth is 1-2mm per year. There does appear to be a reduced risk of growth in people over 65 years of age. The 'kicker' is that observation has a down-side..about 50% of people who are observed (wait and watch) will suffer significant hearing loss. Given the low risks associated with radiosurgery, we have generally advised treatment but there are exceptions (unquote)

According to Doc Medbery then if, like myself,  you are a 'wait and watcher' and you already have total single-sided hearing loss and you have reached your mid 60s there is a good chance that you will be able to avoid future medical intervention.

Never thought I would ever be looking forward to my 65th birthday!

Derek

BeJoi:
Wow, Derek, thanks.  This quote pretty much supports what the radiation oncologist told me and why I'm not going to wait and watch.  I've still got low normal hearing in my right ear, and if I can, I'd like to preserve it.  Like I said before, there are no guarantees that the hearing will be preserved, but this seems like my best chance.

I think you're close enough to 65 at this point to breathe easy  ;D.

Beverly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version