AN Community > AN Community

Hey Gang, Road Trip's back

(1/7) > >>

Road Trip Dale:
Hi everyone, Ahoy maties, the old Road Trip has been out of the loop for a few weeks.  They dropped Wifi in the area I was parked, but we've moved locations from Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and now we are in Northern Texas for a few weeks.  Had a slight accident on the way, had a tire blow out on the towed Jeep and ruined the fender, wheel, two tires, etc., it was a real mess, but the Rock Star Bus came through without any damage, and I've already gotten the Jeep repaired, sooooo, I'm looking for dirt roads ;D

6 months post op and I feel great.  Balance comes and goes, but I haven't found anything I can't do yet, and the loss of hearing really doesn't bother me much, except in Walmart, or Restaurants.  There is some type of hum in Walmart that just shuts out anything being said around me.  My dear Carol hates that.....because she'll be pointing some really interesting thing and just chatting away, forgetting that shes on the wrong side (AND NO its not selective hearing :P), I do that when she's on my good side.  Anyone else found that to be the case.

I'll read through the past posts to try and catch up on what's going on with all the shipmates and other poster's, just wanted to say Hi and let everyone know I'm back on line and if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and help.  I had a great experience (at least as far as the outcome of my surgery) and will share what I know.  Glad to be back.

road Trip

matti:
Hey RTD - Happy to see you back on, we've missed you!! 

Still waiting to be adopted by you and Carol ;)

Cheryl

nancyann:
Hi Roadtrip - What a way to recuperate, travelling cross country - my kind of rehab!!!!   I also have total hearing loss (on the right side), & yeah, going in restaurants, or anywhere alot of people are talking at once is really difficult, I find myself sticking my finger in my left ear to protect it - everything sounds louder in the left ear.   Have a wonderful time travelling.  I can't wait to start travelling again.  Best to you and your wife, Nancy

Jim Scott:
Hi Dale:

Good to see you back among us, as it were. 

As another over-60 guy who had a successful AN removal and rapid recovery (now 5 months out) I enjoy reading about your trips and 'adventures'.   Too bad about the Jeep. 

About hearing adjustments: my wife automatically walks (or stands) on my right side, as she knows if she is on my left (my 'deaf side') she is wasting her breath, which she doesn't like to do.  She also tells 'new' acquaintances who are unaware of my 'monophonic hearing' (as we call it) that, if they are on my left and if I seem to ignore them when they speak to me (it happens) it's because I'm deaf in my left ear.  That usually solves any issues that can arise and if I'm alone and meet someone I want to talk to, I just turn a bit to my right side to hear them better.  No problem.  Restaurants and other crowded places are always a challenge for the hearing-impared (us) but so far, so good, unless - as happened at a recent (noisy) wedding reception we attended - someone across the table is a 'low-talker' and insists on having what seems (to me) to be an almost-whispered conversation with me.  Fortunately, I was able to lean over far enough to catch most of what she was saying (not very interesting, at that) and was able to respond appropriately.   

I don't know about you but I keep having folks I know tell me how 'good' 'I look these days.  Now, I can't lie - I like hearing that - but sometimes I wonder what it really means.  I did lose a lot of weight, pre-op, and while I was not fat by any means, I weighed almost 170 on a 5'7", smallish frame and now, at 140 pounds, I 'm at the weight I was 30+ years ago.   Due to some shaved spots made on my head for nerve monitoring, pre-op, I had to get a re-styled haircut that I know is an improvement over my 'old' hairstyle, so that might be some of it because a lady in our church told me flat-out that my 'new' haircut was very 'youthful' and attractive. Hmmmm.  Fortunately, my wife thought that comment was 'cute'.  I finally asked a lady of our acquaintance what she meant when she, too, told me how 'good' I looked.  She said that I smiled a lot more than before the surgery.  O.K.  Maybe I'm just pleased to get that bugger out of my head (well, most of it, anyway) and get my life back, as you have done.  Of course, I'm not as ambitious as you are, Dale.  I've traveled lots over the years, lived and worked in 3 different states and now have few peripatetic urges, but I think it's a great life if it pleases you, as it obviously does.  Again, good to have you back on the forum.  Take care and, as the late Roy Rogers used to sing: 'Happy trails to you'.  :)

Jim       

Palace:
Hi Dalie,

It is nice to meet you!  (hand-shake)  I'm a "newbie!"  (aproaching CK soon)

I don't have a picture up but, I'm red-blonde with shoulder length hair, small frame, 5'4, brown eyes and don't weigh much except my big AN does.  I thought I'd give the others an idea who they were talking with.  They have discussed music lately and I didn't enter my thoughts on that.   I loved your "road trip information."  It was fun because, I always expect serious text when I log on here.

I'm so glad to hear ("well, can't hear but, on one side") that you are doing so well.

Tell your wife, "Hello" from all of us.

Congratulations.......Palace

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version