Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

I miss my smile

<< < (3/4) > >>

alabamajane:
Tugnutt,,
CONGRATS! I am so glad to hear that you are so happy with the results of your last surgery,,, that truly is wonderful. I have heard of Dr Boahene and his expertise.

I would love to have my smile back also but just can't fathom going so far for surgery! Seems like such a daunting adventure  ::),,,,, if there were a Dr around closer with that type experience,, I am sure I would have it done,, well,,,, almost sure,, I am still uneasy about another fairly serious surgery  :-\,,, I'm chicken,,, and not as young as I once was, ,,,haha,,,

But I'm so happy for you two!! Your smile is really so important in this journey,,,,,

Best of luck,,
Jane

tugnutt:
AL Jane - I totally understand your concerns!  It was a big step, but now it's behind me.  I'm pretty certain I would do it again.  One of the reasons I steeled myself and did it, is that Dr Boahene said it would be harder to get satisfactory results if I waited longer - it had been 15 months since the surgery.  What with that pressure to decide, my awesome husband's support (he is my therapist, advocate, chauffeur, and shoulder to cry on), and desire to smile again, I was convinced.

I know that we each have our own road to recovery from AN and the surgery, and I do not dismiss anyone making their own best choices for themselves. To me, it's amazing that we have these options!

Thank you for your congratulations - I owe all of my thanks to the good doctor and my husband.   

vickieastwood:
Hi everyone,

It's been nearly four months since my gracilis flap surgery and I wanted to give you an update. Swelling has gone down although I still have fullness in my cheek. My speech has improved and I don't need to hold my cheek anymore on conference calls, such a relief! No movement yet that I can feel, but a couple of months ago I started having tingling in my cheek. I can literally feel the nerves connecting. I've been told that movement has been seen in my cheek and that my eye looks better. This week I realized I was blowing on my soup- something I haven't been able to do in a long time. No smiles yet, but starting to be able to do the pucker type movements with less pull to the other side. Boy is it hard to be patient, I can't wait to feel a smile again.

Another update - I've been wearing my scleral lenses for about three months now and I can't express how wonderful they are. I don't need the goop in my eye anymore and the dry eye pain is gone. Between the amniotic membrane and the scleral lenses, the vision in my left eye had improved from legally blind from dry eye corneal damage to 20/30 vision. It just feels like a miracle and I'm so grateful for hearing about them here on this forum.

I'll post more when movement returns. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!

Vicki

alabamajane:
Congrats Vickie!
Really good news and I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before you have that “Colgate smile” again!  ;)

Patience is hard so many times along this journey,,,,, hang in there,, it won’t be long and you’ll be posting about that beautiful smile that on it’s way!!!

Peace and Happy Holidays,,
Jane

vickieastwood:
Thanks Alabamajane! You were so right, yesterday I noticed my first movement and today I can see ever so slightly more movement! So excited now to find a facial therapist to teach me what exercises to do!

Vicki

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version