General Category > AN Issues

Sudden Hearing Loss 13 months after FSR

(1/2) > >>

Pablo:

So I gradually had lost some of the high frequencies over the first six - eight  months (10db) , then hearing stabilized and things were good . Now on the 13th month after FSR I exprienced a sudden hearing loss which started with almost 20dB drop at 4KHz and upper. Low mid range didn't seem to be greatly affected. Doctor recommended prednisone, however  after two weeks of treatment hearing has barely improved (I may have recovered roughly 5dB over the 20 dB I lost). In addition the profound hearing loss is accompanied by resonances in the same range of freqs I lost hearing in. It's very frustrated since I have to plug my ear to hear clearly without distortion.  People speaking or loud noises brings me  a bad mood  and anxiety. I should go back to my doctor now and ask if there is anything else I can do or whether I'm stuck with this. I was considering tumor swelling as a cause but my two MRIs after treatment show no growth or even a little bit smaller in size and necrotic based on the last MRI. The tumor, though,  looks  a little bit different, less homogeneous. I was wondering if this might be an additional effect of radiation or some  effect due to tumor dying process afftecting hearing. In any way I would like to know if those who had FSR experienced such a thing right after 1 year and if there are any suggestiions to try recovering the hearing I had 24 days ago.
Thank you in advance,
Pablo

Dealy:
WELCOME to the _I cannot hear you club. Yes- I am now alittle past 13 months post-op FSR and my hearing has decreased to the point that I need a Hearing Aid too hear-and then is distorted and muffled but it is better than nothing-and this is my only hearing ear. I was told I have 30 DB left until I am completely deaf. My left ear is deaf-so I am talking about truly completely deaf. I am also getting shooters and zappers in my face that seem too orginate from the inside of my head-not the exterior. I was put on a course of Celebrex for inflammation. Latest MRI showed tumor in Necrosis in center plus it has swollen at 9 months and is shrinking in volume wth my 1 year MRI. I am hoping this indicates that it is pulling away from my facial nerve. My numbness is less acute. I asked for predisone-but was told they did not want to risk my immune system because I took so much last year. I guess it is something we will have too live with as a consequence of radiation. I can relate to the frustration and anxiety. God Bless- Ron. Have a Good Day.

Jim Scott:
Hi, Pablo:

I'm sorry you're having these frustrating hearing problems in the months following radiation.

I underwent FSR (26 separate low-dose treatments) but my hearing was already defunct in the AN-affected ear so I didn't have any hearing to lose.  Due to the placement of the AN tumor, it's possible the hearing nerve was damaged during the radiation treatment or that the shrinking of the tumor has affected thre hearing nerve.  Although there may be others who have had a similar experience that can comment, I don't see any way to be sure of what is really happening.  On that basis, I would strongly suggest you explain your hearing loss to your physician and ask him to try to determine what your future hearing status may be.  Obviously, Prednisone isn't the answer.

Here's hoping your hearing improves and you (and your doctor) can find some answers, soon.

Jim

linnilue:
I had linac but it is still in the same category of radiation therapy.  I had perfectly normal hearing before radiation  and then suddenly one night 5 months later I lost almost all of my hearing and a week later I lost the acoustic reflex (which balances noise.)  Yes, it has everything to do with radiation as I was told in Boston.  Here in Vermont, the docs told me they just couldn't understnad the hearing loss, even though it is on the side with the AN and my tumor is intracannicular...ummm?!  The audiolgist and my new doctor in Boston explained it all to me and it made sense.  It is a bummer though isn't it?!  I use a musician's ear peice to block out loud noise and when i go to the movies.  I hate being in a room with alot of people. it makes me crazy.  I don't know if I am coming or going.  Most restaurants are difficult too because of the noise.  With time you will become more tolerant but it is diffcult to say the least.  I try to avoid situations which I know will be bothersome and it will be trial and error for you for quite some time.  Best of Luck.  Holly   

Pablo:
nilkynu,
when I read your message, it sounds like I'm writing it myself. It's so similar to what I'm experiencing now. I hate noisy places too, but even at home, my daughter's voice comes in exactly where those frequencies give me the resonance crap so when she starts screaming or crying I have to use the ear plugs even at home before I have to pull my hair off. I guess you're right, it's a matter of adapting yourself but I guess it takes time. My only problem is that I still have hopes that it'll go away sometime soon which makes things harder. I'm also a musician so the grief is triple.
Anyways, thanks for your note and hope all the best for you too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version