General Category > AN Issues

Sleep Disturbances / Nightmares

(1/2) > >>

TrueKnits:
I have been experiencing vivid dreams every time I sleep since the onset of symptoms.
They alternate between random events to downright terrifying scenarios. I awaken unrested and often shaken.
This is unusual for me. I have never experienced this in my life aside from when I have been pregnant.
I even took a test to be sure I wasn't pregnant even though I knew it would be negative.
Does tinnitus or some other presentation of symptoms awaken us during REM sleep?
I mentioned my poor sleep to the last ENT I saw at Mayo. He attributed it to stress in general but not to any specific physiological manifestation.
I know dreaming is essential, I would just like it to mellow out or stay in the deep recesses of my brain.

Greece Lover:
One of the significant aspects of being diagnoses with AN is the mental health side of things. And, these are things to which ENT docs and surgeons are often not atuned.  I have dealt with anxiety ever since my diagnosis.  (In fact, we're about to leave on a two-week road trip, including 10 nights of tent camping in Banff, CA, and my anxiety is through the roof!).  I've seen a therapist for it.  I also know people who have gotten some mild medication for it.  So, don't ignore mental health through this process.  No one had really prepped me for that.  You'll be OK and get through it, but at times its tough and the anxiety is certainly understandable. I obviously have no idea, but I suspect your dreams are related to all this, and I had them as well.

I wish you peace!

TrueKnits:
Thank you for your response!
Anxiety has been quite high on some days but in general is well managed.
This has been a surreal experience.  My brain is probably still overwhelmed with everything.
Camping sounds nice! I hope the trip goes well.
I'm thinking of going out to the country for recovery post surgery.

MarlaB:
The ANA has a new-ish information handbook on Cognitive effects and such. (Understanding Emotional, Cognitive and Behavioral Changes) If your membership is current, you can download it from the website. It might help you with answering some of your questions as well as give you suggestions for managing your anxiety.

Just know you are not alone in this. I too have been where you are. It does get better...or should I say..different?  ;-)

Stay well. Best wishes.

Marla B.

TrueKnits:
Thank you for directing me to the handbook, Marla!
I hadn't yet read any as I assumed hard copies of some of the files may be part of the packet I am awaiting.
The information I read tonight was so thorough and helpful!
I have been watching some of the webinars and happened upon one regarding microsurgery that featured one of my surgeons. I am very grateful for the resources available. It helps immensely to gain knowledge regarding my condition at my own pace and from reputable sources.

Wishing everyone a wonderful evening!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version