Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

made my decision!

(1/3) > >>

ToneControl:
Quick update:  after getting evaluations from Dr. Mangham at Seattle Ear Clinic, and Dr. Chang at Stanford, I have decided to go with Cyberknife.  My biggest concern has been to choose the option which seemed to have the best hearing outcomes, and after a bunch of research (maybe Google should be considered a prescription drug!), I feel comfortable with my choice.

Dr. Mangham indicated that because of the small size (1cm) and location of my AN, I would have a better than average chance of saving my hearing.  Taking that into consideration, I still feel that the 80% hearing preservation outcome that Cyberknife has been showing tips the scales in its' favor.  I recently found references to a 10 year follow up of radiation which showed a decrease in hearing preservation to less than 50% ten years post-treatment, which I was disappointed with, but after speaking with Dr. Chang, he said that his data was showing 75% preservation five years out.  Bottom line - I'm looking at slightly better than 50/50 odds when I wake up from microsurgery, or 80% wich Cyberknife, with the knowledge that it may decrease over time.  I figure if 10 years out I'm at 50/50, I'm still 10 further down the road.  Add to that the reduced risk of facial nerve damage, no CST leaks, etc. with Cyberknife.  Maybe faulty logic... but it works for me.

My thanks to all who replied to my earlier post, and to everyone who shares their research, insights and experience on these boards.  Thanks to Steve Gerrard for encouraging me to explore Cyberknife more thoroughly before deciding.

To those out there trying to decipher all the various studies as they relate to hearing preservation, a word of advice:  make sure you are not comparing apples to oranges when looking at outcomes.  There can be a big difference between "useful hearing" and hearing preservation in the same Gardner-Robinson hearing class.

Now all I have to do is get through the next month without going crazy...

Lorenzo:
Good luck with CK! I had my treatment at Stanford nearly three years ago with Dr Chang, and it's a great place! When is your treatment?
Your logic seems to me fine, just the way I was thinking. Plus, the decision seems to make you feel more comfortable, so that's an important aspect to point out.
All the best, keep us posted.
Ciao, Lorenzo

Mark:
Tonecontrol,

I'll offer my congrats on getting to your decision as well. I'll also concur with Lorenzo ( which I usually do anyway  :)) on both your logic and choice of CK. FWIW, I go in for my 6 year MRI / audiogram with Dr. Chang probably in December and at this point I feel my hearing is still at the same level as pre-treatment with SRT at between 95-100%. So, I guess I'm in his 75% after 5 year data base if that gives you any more assurance.

Mark

Lorenzo:
Thanks Mark!  :)  lol

By the way, and sorry for side-stepping slightly, but this could be of interest to ToneControl too. Did you continue your yearly MRI / audiograms past the three year stage? Is it something you're likely to continue for ever / a while longer / a finite numbers of years? I'm coming up to my three eyars and MRI time again, and I'm jsut wondering what the future holds.

Sent you a pm about this too, but thought it might be of interest to others. Apologies again ToneControl for diverting from your good news!

Bravo to you!!

Ciao, Lorenzo

GM:
Congrats on your decision...that tends to be the hardest part!   :D

Best of luck!!

Gary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version