Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

New - Husband diagnosed

(1/3) > >>

anna70:
Hello, I have been reading this forum for a few days and registered. I hope family members of AN are allowed. If not, let me know. My husband was diagnosed last month. We were told it is 2 cm but the radiiologist says its closer to 2.5
He is 35. Hearing is very poor in the right ear and his balance could be described as a bit clumsy which we found out is from the AN.

We are going back and forth between surgery/radiation. Are radiation results typically good for a tumor his size? Is surgery a better choice?

We are going to see a neurosurgeon on Tuesday not affliliated with the ENT and radiologist that we have seen for another opinion. The ENT is pushing for surgery and we are just not sure. It seems risky. The ENT says that surgery is preferred for the size and his age.

I know only my husband can make this choice but I sure want the best outcome for him and I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have been there, done that or are going through the same thing.

Thanks
Anna

HeadCase2:
Anna,
  Family members are certainly welcome on this forum.  Like all of us, when you or a familt member receive an AN diagnosis you have lots of guestions.   Keep reading forum posts, you'll find a lot of infomation about the various choices for treatment or "watch-and-wait". 
Regards,
  Rob

Boppie:
Anna,  I am 65 now.  I had surgery at age 63 for my 2cm AN.

Family members can learn a great deal here.  Welcome.

Joef:
Welcome!!  ;D

the Surgery/Radiation question is a tuff one .... I had it easy , it was to big for radiation ...

research all you can .. get different opinions.... dont feel rushed ... these tumor's grow for years and years.. a few months wont make any big difference.  Remember to get serveral copies of the MRI because all the major centers that do AN's will accept MRI's via the mail and call you.   Are you west or east coast?

sgerrard:
You can probably tell by the previous posts that you are of course welcome here. So is your husband, if he gets up the nerve. ;)

On the radiation question: here is a quote from the U. of Pittsburgh web site: "We believe that all patients with newly diagnosed, residual, or recurrent acoustic tumors (less than 3 cm in extracanalicular diameter) are now suitable radiosurgery candidates." It is a good site for info on radiation, presented in a dull and clinical way, but full of information: http://www.acousticneuroma.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/index.html

The link that Bruce posted on Cyberknife also lists several doctors who will correspond by email, and review a CD of your MRI, if you can get one from the MRI lab. You can also get surgery-oriented evaluations of your MRI at the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles.

Take a little time, get a second opinion or two, and don't let anyone push you faster than you want to go. You will also find lots of emotional support from the good people on this forum.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version