General Category > AN Issues

Watch and Wait -- Tumor Size

(1/3) > >>

letranger:
I was diagnosed with an AN about two years ago.  At that time, the tumor was 0.4 x 0.6 x 0.4 cm and my neurotologist, for whom I have great respect, suggested that we watch and wait.  However, my most recent MRI (January of 2007) showed that the tumor has grown and is now 0.6 x 0.9 x 0.5 cm.  My neurotologist now says that I should have surgery by the end of the year.  I sought a second opinion and was told that it was still safe for me to watch and wait.  The second doctor said I should have an MRI in about six months to monitor any changes.   

I am wondering if others with tumors roughly the same size as mine can share advice or information they were given about whether surgery was necessary or whether it was okay to watch and wait.  Thanks very much.

Captain Deb:
As an AN survivor with a small tumor who chose microsurgery, I would strongly suggest consulting with a radiosurgeon about Gamma Knife or Cyber knife or FSR, all of which are recently showing good success rates with small tumors.

Capt Deb 8)

BeJoi:
There are people on this site with larger tumors who are in watch and wait mode.  Always keep in mind that, even though a doctor is competent and well respected, you should always have more than one consultation and speak to doctors in different disciplines, i.e., neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists.  You will get different viewpoints and more options.  If you read the threads on this site, you will also learn a lot about your options and other places on the web to do your own research.  No one can tell how fast or big a tumor will grow, but it appears from what your MRI shows, that you have some time to assess your options and make a choice that will be right for you.

I have a tumor that has been judged as anywhere from .9 to 1.9 in size--so much for consistency in diagnosing ::).   After doing a ton of research and meeting with no less than 6 physicians, I've chosen to go ahead with FSR treatments starting 6/18.  It's a very personal choice as to what method to use and when to start treatment--based on size, location, symptoms and other factors re: the tumor.  The more you know, the more faith you'll have in the choice you eventually make.

Good Luck,

Beverly

Jim Scott:
letranger:

Hello and welcome.  No one wants what it takes to be here (an acoustic neuroma tumor) but we're glad you found the informative ANA website - and this forum.  No, we're not physicians, but we do stand ready to offer whatever practical advice we can.

Thankfully, you have a small AN.  Radiation is very likely a viable option for you.  So is surgery.  At this point, it would seem as if 'watch-and-wait' may also be feasible.  When it comes to treatment approaches, ultimately it's your decision to make, not your doctor's.  That means you need to do some research into radiation and, as Bejoi suggested, consult with other physicians.  Consider them all and then make an informed decision as to how you'll address this medical problem.  Don't agree to have surgery because one doctor, even a well-respected doctor, tells you that you 'must'.  You do have more than one option.

We wish you the best and hope you'll use this site and the forums to your benefit.

Jim

mema:
Just recently on one of these threads I thought I read someone who was in wait and watch for 3 yrs., and the AN wasn't getting bigger.  My AN was 8mm x 6mm.  I researched thoroughly seeking out 4 hospitals from Florida to Philadelphia.  Only John Hopkins told me to wait and watch.  Work was talking about getting rid of medical benefits, so I preceded with FSR.  Now when I read all the posts I wished I had waited and watched at least for a little while.  But I know everyone does what they think is best and at the right time, for whatever reason.  Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.                                                                                                               

mema

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version