General Category > AN Issues

Spinning in NYC

(1/5) > >>

Ronnie:
Diagnosed this week with 2.5 mm AN.  Four weeks ago became ill with pneumonia. Prior to being sick had no symptoms of hearing loss or imbalance/dizziness.  One week into the illness noticed hearing loss/humming in left ear and terrible dizziness/imbalance.  My major problem is the terrible dizziness and traveling in the car (forget about driving, I can't even be a passenger).  Went to my first doctor this week and told me I could wait and see about surgery/treatment at least until the next six month MRI, suggested PT for balance. Hearing in left ear is shot, nothing worth preserving.  I am just amazed that something so small can cause so many problems. Has anyone gone for "vistibular therapy" for balance and has it helped any?

ppearl214:
Hi Ronnie and welcome.  I'm sorry to hear that you are now joining us, but... am glad to hear you are joining us... :)  We're all here to help.

I also checked into vestibular therapy and know of some on this site that have gone through it.... some worked, some didn't. There is a question with some insurance carriers, too, if they will cover it.  There are balance exercises that some have shared around here and I do believe that the "balance" forum may have info there that you will find helpful.

Who in NYC are you dealing with for your diagnosis?  Did they say on the MRI report what size your AN is and it's exact location?

Anyway, welcome...... we're here for you.

Phyl

Ronnie:
I saw Dr. Selesnick at Cornell. It's 2.5 mm.  As far as location other than it being on the 8th cranial nerve I don't know anything else about location.  My insurance will cover the balance class I start Thursday.  The dizziness is so extreme I haven't been able to function for the last three weeks.  I am just blown away by this site, so much info.  Thanks.

Joef:

2mm? .. thats tiny! but if the balance is getting you a hard time .. watch it closely

I would think the balance class will help a lot!

maarten:
Hi Ronnie
I'm also in nyc and am currently taking vestibular therapy. Feel free to send me a message with any questions you may have. I had my second opinion at Cornell, and got a very positive impression there. Your tumor may be small or large, it doesn't quite matter -- there are people with 'mega tumors' who have few side effects and others with 'mini' tumors who have many side effects. It depends on many factors, not just size.
Welcome to the forum and we're here to answer any questions you may have!
Maarten

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version