General Category > AN Issues

Metallic taste

(1/1)

er:
Hello every one
For those who have had the same experience as I have, the bad Metallic taste in your mouth, 24/7. I am 2 years, 1 months, and 19 days since surgery. I hope I did the math right. Surgery was on March 28,2005. I have noticed the past couple of weeks that the taste is not there like it use to be, once in a while I taste it but not like it use to.
eve

Sam Rush:
The taste is from a regrowth of a small branch of the 7th cranial nerve(facial) called the caudi tympani which innervates the front part of the tongue and to a certain extent the lips. I developed it 2 1/2 yrs post-op trans-lab. Sometimes tinnitus will develop or get worse at the same time. The "motorboat" type of tinnitus is caused by the same nerve.

nancyann:
My 'metallic taste' isn't as bad as it was a couple of months ago, hope that doesn't mean the 7th cranial nerve is taking a break ????

vcschaub:
I am 18 months post op middle fossa. About a month ago I developed an "on and off" metallic taste, so this is an interesting topic. I have also been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome which is an exocrine autoimmune disease in which the "excreting" parts of one's body are invaded by leukocytes/white cells. The most common symptom is dry mouth, but you have to have a test and have another symptom proven either through biopsy or serology. In my case, my lip was biopsed and the diagnosis was made. This was in addition to "flunking" the Schirmer test which is for dry eyes. For months I thought it was my AN post op dry eye that had come back but I could close my eye and now both of my eyes are dry. There apparently is no connection between the AN and Sjogren's syndrome but the metallic taste question interested me.

er:
I love it Nancyann
Sorry but I just had to laugh!!!!
I hope Sam that my tinnitus also will go away, that would be a blessing.
 I was just grateful that one the side affects was gone or almost gone.
Vcschaub, I do still have the dry mouth at night when I sleep, I hate it, it sometimes feel that my tongue is stock to my palate,
like when you put your tongue to a frozen pipe.
eve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version