General Category > AN Issues

Diagnosis Nystagmus

(1/2) > >>

Omaschwannoma:
I was diagnosed with nystagmus one year after surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma.  After searching the Pubmed Articles for treatment options, I am wondering if anyone has been diagnosed and successfully treated for this condition. 

nancyann:
I had nystagmus but it was expected post op due to the balance issues.  As the balance improves the nystagmus should go away, yes?, no?     Is it due to some other cause or from the AN?   Nancy

Denise:
I have heard of this....but.....what is it?

Denise

Omaschwannoma:
Nystagmus is involuntary eye movement that can be part of the vestibulo-ocular reflex.  The doctor I saw who diagnosed this said "It is consistent with the surgery".  He sent me for me rehab, but at my appointment the girl looked over my chart and told me there is nothing more she or anyone can do physical therapy wise.  The balance issues do not improve and I have been on a plateau for almost 2 years.  My field of vision bounces much like watching home videos where the camera man cannot hold the camera still.  It is worse when I turn my head to the opposite side of where the AN was.  I thought maybe there is another sort of treatment that I could look into is all.  I would like to increase my walking to over 30 minutes while outside, it's different on the treadmill as my field of vision is close and compact (in bedroom) so I can walk for over 30 minutes then, but it's boring looking at the same picture on the wall in front of me!--sigh. 

Jim Scott:
From the American Nystagmus Network website. http://www.nystagmus.org/

Nystagmus is an involuntary, 'jittery' eye movement which usually results in some degree of visual loss. The degree and direction of eye movement, amount of visual loss and resulting impairment varies greatly from person to person.  Often, but not always, nystagmus is permanent.  Sometimes, removal of the cause may improve nystagmus.  The reduced vision may be improved with glasses and low vision aids.  If the eyes are more stable looking in a certain direction, glasses with prisms or eye muscle surgery may improve the head position and allow better vision.  Medications, Biofeedback, and eye exercises have rarely helped control nystagmus.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version