General Category > AN Issues

How do I keep from crying???

(1/6) > >>

Jackie:
I was just diagnosed Feb. 5th, like other newbies, I am in shock and have a lot to learn and am glad to have found this forum!!! My AN is right side , exact quote from diagnosis " right cerebellopontine angle isointense T2 mass extending into right internal auditory canal. Mass likely impinges upon the exiting right 8th cranial nerve. 11 mm transverse x9 mm AP. This is Greek language to me since I have so much to learn and explore. I live in Oregon and am on LKaiser, however they do Not do any procedures within Kaiser, but refer out. So help me please with whatever suggestions anyone out ther has. I am a happily married 59 yr old young Grandma of 5 and want to be positive about the future and end this pity party soon! Thank-you for any help you can give me. Jackie

Joef:
Welcome !

and relex .. breath deeply ... everyone goes thu this "panic" stage!!  :o    Take your time and reasearch your options.. these tumors are normally slow growing (I bet your "friend" has been there for years) so another few months should make no difference.. your in no rush to do anything!  it still at a smallish size, so you could just watch it and wait, surgery, or radiosurgery!...

ppearl214:
Hi Jackie and welcome.... and JoeF is right... just time for a deep breath.... we all truly do understand and here to support each other as best as we can.

Ok, I'll attempt the garbly translation for you.  Anyone else want to chime in, please do.....
"right cerebellopontine angle isointense T2 mass extending into right internal auditory canal."
This means the AN is indeed on your right side, in the IAC, just peeking out to the CP Angle region..... so, it's peeking out but based on what is noted, not pressing on the brain stem, which is terrific

The 8th Cranial nerve is your vestibular/hearing (and balance) nerve, so, thus, an "acoustic" neuroma

"11 mm transverse x9 mm AP"
Ah, great news!  it's considered small to medium, thus, highly treatable and worth keeping an eye on.  11mm = 1.1cm.

Now, the most note-worthy is this.... Acoustic Neuromas (AN's) are benign.  Benign is a lovely word... truly.  Also, it does not penetrate the brain itself.  It may be pressing on it (MAY is the key word) but does not penetrate the brain.

So, overall... it's small to medium, highly treatable, may be worth keeping an eye to make sure there is no further growth.  If you are having any symptoms such as balance issues, tinnitus, facial numbness, etc, these are the things you want to make sure you not to your dr.

There is much info out here so my hope is that you sit back with a cup of coffee (or your favorite drink), take a deep breath and read some of the info that is available out here.  And please keep in mind that we all truly do understand. Many here are like you... just receiving their diagnosis, some that just had treatments for their AN's and some that had treatments a while ago and as you will see, life is certainly moving along for us...... :)

Again, welcome....... and know that we stand beside you and will help in any way we can. :)

Hang in there.
Phyl

--- Quote from: Jackie on February 17, 2007, 02:23:54 am ---I was just diagnosed Feb. 5th, like other newbies, I am in shock and have a lot to learn and am glad to have found this forum!!! My AN is right side , exact quote from diagnosis " right cerebellopontine angle isointense T2 mass extending into right internal auditory canal. Mass likely impinges upon the exiting right 8th cranial nerve. 11 mm transverse x9 mm AP. This is Greek language to me since I have so much to learn and explore. I live in Oregon and am on LKaiser, however they do Not do any procedures within Kaiser, but refer out. So help me please with whatever suggestions anyone out ther has. I am a happily married 59 yr old young Grandma of 5 and want to be positive about the future and end this pity party soon! Thank-you for any help you can give me. Jackie

--- End quote ---

matti:
Hi Jackie and welcome!  I know how scared and anxious you are feeling, but as Joef and Phyl have noted these AN buggers are treatable and benign. We are here to help guide and support you through this journey. Your first steps are researching and gathering info, this is a great place to start. It's nice to be armed with as much info as possible when meeting with your doctors and surgeons. I didn't have the opportunity to do that :(

I am almost 9 years post op and life is wonderful!!!

Sending hugs and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Cheryl

Catflower:
I just recently went through the exact same feelings your experiencing.  I was diagnosed in November 2006 and am anxiously awaiting surgery the week of April 17.  My first feelings were identical; scared, paniced, depressed, feeling like crying, but I got past that with the help of this great site.  This is a great place to share your feelings with people who know what you're going through.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version