General Category > Inquiries

Very New and very scared

(1/6) > >>

Shrnwldr:
HI everyone
I had no idea.  I had a doctor tell me about 10-12 years ago that I had vertigo and that I had a problem with my inner ear.  Gradually I've had equilibrium problems that have gradually gotten worse.  I fall often.  My family were getting annoyed with my inability to hear. So off to the doctor I went.  To make a long story short I had a series of tests ending with an MRI.  Bingo! There it was.  I have an AN about 2 cm x 1 cm.  My team of doctors will be Dr. Jerald V Robinson, Mr. William Hitselberger, and Mr. Michael Stefan.  My surgery will be at St. Vincent Hospital and I am scheduling it for June. The procedure will be the translabyrinth.....  and my niece has already spoken to Dr. Friedman as she works with him here in Orange County. I am in very very good hands!
Honestly I was stunned to hear the news, then I got onto the internet to read more about this and geesh I became completely frighten.  I didn't want nor will I accept the quality of my life deteriorating.  I feel very confident with the doctors. I just was not aware of all the post-operative treatments / issues.  Thanks to you all I am a bit more informed and have some great ideas for overcoming some issues.
Will update you more as the surgery gets closer.
Thank you again.

matti:
Welcome to the forum! I certainly understand how frightened you are, but please know that we are here to help you in any way that we can. You are absolutely right, you are in the best of hands and we have many members who also had surgery at St.Vincent's.

From diagnosis to surgery, I had 7 days and did not have any info on AN's other than what my doctors told me and looking back that was glossed over. I wish I had more knowledge going into it, that way I would have been better prepared during my recovery. I know reading all the post op issues is overwhelming, but as you said,  good to be informed and now you have great ideas to help overcome the issues. You sound very confident, strong and determined, all the things needed for a good and speedy recovery. I will be 9 years post op in July and doing well :)

Cheryl

Lorenzo:
HI and welcome! Nice to have another new memeber to this family! you certainly sound like you have the right attitude with this. That will get you a long way in coping with it. Keep a clear mind and try to stay relaxed. It is a scary part, the diagnosis and initial phase of finding information. But, the more information you get, the more confident you'll be.

You're in a good place here, we're all here to help each other.

Ciao, Lorenzo

Sue:
Hi and welcome to our special club that no one wants to join!  This is a great place to find information, inspiration, comfort and you can also vent your fears and frustrations. We've all been there, done that to different degrees. 

You haven't asked, and you seem already set on your method of treatment, but I'm going to tell you that unless your AN is in a precarious location (like very close to your brain stem), you do have options available to you besides surgery. My AN is a bit bigger than yours as it is closer to 2x2x2 and I had radiosurgery.  I am only mentioning this since you seem frightened by surgical complications that could arise.  We respect each other's method of treatment, so I'm certainly not trying to change your mind, but I'm wondering if you were given the opportunity to explore a different route.  Just a thought! 

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best in your treatment and recovery.  It's not the end of the world to get an AN, but it changes our world somehow or another.  It's okay to be angry, frightened, sad and befuddled.  I return to angry now and then!

Kindest regards,

Sue in Vancouver USA

Obita:
Hi Shrnwldr and a hundred thousand welcomes to you!!

Sorry about the AN but its good to have you on. 

I had the translab approach three years ago this comming May.  I am doing very well.  My only complaint is the single sided deafness but life goes on.

I was not a radiation candidate because my AN was starting to compress the brainstem.  I was lucky, no facial issues etc...you owe it to yourself to get a radiation consult unless you just want it out.

Good luck and see you around, Kathy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version