General Category > Inquiries

Some questions...

(1/6) > >>

Jessica1973:
Hello!  :)  My name is Jessica and back in October I went to see a new doctor as I just moved for a BP check as my prescription recently ran out.  While there I mentioned to him an odd sensation I was feeling in my lower lip and tongue - they were a little numb, like when novacaine wears off after a dental procedure.  Neither of us really thought much of it, and I chalked it up to burning my tongue a few nights before on hot coffee.  As the days went on the numbness spread slowly over parts of the right side of my face - to the point I couldn't close my eye without using my fingers.  This lasted several weeks and finally went away. I had a CT scan of my sinuses - which showed acute sinusitis - he prescribed me antibiotics and when it wasn't getting better, he called a prescription in for prednisone.  I then had a MRI (with and without contrast) that revealed a 3 mm x 2 mm  mass (near the geniculate ganglion -sp?) that he had me see a neurosurgeon & ENT for.  The ENT never called me back to setup the appointment, but I saw the neurosurgeon right away.  He said the mass could be scar tissue, or something worse, but that I would have to have another MRI in 3 months, and he didn't think I needed to see an ENT at this time.  (I just had it done yesterday, and they did an IAC scan of the right side as well - so I'm anxiously awaiting the results)  I thought my facial numbness was easily explained by 'Bell's Palsy' - which I still haven't been diagnosed as having ... but I guess my question is can Bell's Palsy lead to scarring that looks like a mass?  Of course, I have self-diagnosed myself with SO many other things - the internet can be a very bad place (hehe) ...   that I was hoping someone here may be able to shed a little light on my problem.  For some more background on me ... I suffer from chronic headaches - and have for as long as I can remember that no other doctor (before my present doctor) has really given any attention to.  I have horrible sinus infections several times a year, but this year they've become worse.  I've had 4 or so within the past 6 months - and my ears always feel 'stopped up' - for lack of a better word to describe them.  Hopefully I'll get my results back soon and can update this post with great news ... last time they made me wait 9 days and when I got the report it scared the crap out of me ... there was a long list of 'possible' causes and almost all of them meant cancer.    Thanks for taking the time to read this ... and I would appreciate any information/experience that anyone would like to share.  Have a great day!  JR   

matti:
The most significant symptoms I had were facial numbness, especially gums and lip, but the most annoying was the burnt tongue feeling. Sometimes I felt like I had cotton stuck to my tongue as well. These are the symptoms that lead me to the doctor and I was diagnosed with everything from MS to Trigeminal neuralgia and after a 1 1/2 years of misdiagosis an MRI showed a 3.5cm AN.

I don't know if Bells Palsy can lead to scarring. Do you have sinus polyps?

Keeping my fingers crossed that you hear good news!! Keep us posted

hugs,
Cheryl

Joef:
yep.. thats how I started .. at the dentist ...about and ended up taking to my GP about my "fullness" water in my ear I could not clear ... I was lucky... he took a quick look at me.. and sent me for an MRI w/contrast ... I was only his 2nd pataint with a AN ... 

Jessica1973:
Did the numbness last longer than the 'typical' few weeks like with Bell's Palsy?  I know the only thing I can do is wait to see what the new MRI has to say - but I am getting very impatient.  To have a neurosurgeon tell you he has no clue what is in your hear and we have to give it a few months to see if it's growing sort of has me freaked out and on edge for the past 3 months.  Some days I feel like I'm going crazy ... and the dreams I've been having ... Discovery Health is NOT the best program to watch when you have undiagnosed symptoms.  :)

Thank you both for your comments... I greatly appreciate it!

~JR~ 

Obita:
Hi Jessica:

Darn it.  The waiting is tough.

My facial trouble was only twitching.  It felt like I had bugs under my skin.

I hope you get some news SOON.  Kathy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version