General Category > AN Issues

Does where you live influence how your vestibular schwannoma is managed?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Citiview:
ANSydney

I'm glad you found the paper interesting. Regarding Fig. 1 and Table 5, is there a problem with the pdf? My scanner put all the scans together like that. I don't have the entire Adobe Suite right now so I couldn't edit the pdf. I only have Reader. Let me know if the pdf needs to be tweaked and I can get access to the software to fix it. We got about two hours of sleep last night due to the Election, so we are running on fumes here.

ANSydney:
The paper came across perfectly. It's just reconciling the graphical data to its numeric source.

(I also watched the US election, however, fortunately for me the interesting bits were from midday to about 7:00 pm (Sydney time) when Trump gave his victory speech.)

Citiview:
Looking at it, it seems that Fig. 1 is a graphic for Table 4.

An interesting fact is that other high surgical areas, other than LA, were Detroit, Iowa and Utah. New England wasn't included in the study. That's where I'm from.

ANSydney:
Yes Table 4 looks like the source.

Interesting how if you live/seek treatment in:

LA: 55% chance of surgery
Iowa: 72% chance of surgery

Kentucky: 69% change of observation
Hawaii: 68% chance of observation

Connecticut: 62% chance of radiosurgery
New Mexico: 69% chance of radiosurgery

Considering the more polarized of the 15 regions

So, not only talk to the various specialties, but also do it at different locations!

Cheryl R:
Iowa has the major center at Univ of Iowa who does ANs on a frequent basis.   Mid fossa or translab.  Dr Bruce Gantz has been doing them for many years.    I am now 15 yrs out from my first AN surgery on 11-01-01       Due to becoming NF2, others were in 2006 and 2008.       Dr Marlin Hansen has been there for a long time also and is doing more of them too.    A friend of mine who is a OR nurse at the VA there says Hansen does them there too.        I have never asked of Hansen does any retrosigmoid.              I was just down to Iowa City this past weekend as have relatives there plus their new Stead Childrens Hospital had tours of the all new facility.    Being a retired nurse made me want to see it.    It is wonderful but has had a good childrens hospital there.          I went up to the floor where the AN patients are cared for.     Had a wonderful talk with 2 young RNs.    A couple nurses I knew have now retired.           They said they can have 3-4 AN patients a week and rarely none.     I know Gantz does travel some and does lectures.                My fingers are always crossed that I never end up there again but has been 8 yrs now.              I know Iowa does many out of state patients plus years ago he said he did more midfossa than Mayos which is close to Iowa.                               Cheryl R

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version