General Category > AN Issues

To Gamma, or not to Gamma ...

(1/1)

msuscottie:
That is the question.

I had appointments yesterday with my Dr's to read my 1 year post op MRI from my second surgery. For those of you I haven't met. I had a large AN, a bit larger than a golf ball, that was debulked in surgery #1, and then further removed in a second surgery. The residual is about the size of a thumbnail.

The MRI shows that it hasn't grown, but it's still signifigant (2cm). My thought process has always been to leave it alone if it's not growing, but both of my Dr's are (95%) sure that it'll grow in my lifetime. My neurosurgeon made a great analogy comparing it to a battle ...

"we've charged the tumor and it's retreating, it's back on it's heals, but if we just wait and watch we give it a chance to regroup and attack us again, if we use GK, we can kick it while it's down."

GK sounds like the right thing to do, to hopefully end this tumor for good, but it's very scary, especially after having already had 2 brain surgeries. Has anyone here had GK? Is it anything to worry about? Some have said it's "no big deal," but I find that hard to believe.

I basically have to options. Wait & Watch and let this tumor regroup and attack, or go with the GK and kick it while it's down.

I really don't know what to do?

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

MLB57:
Hi Scott-- Did you have any facial nerve damage from your two surgeries? I had a 1 cm rt AN removed Jan 2001 and residual was left (unbeknownst to surgeons until 2006 MRI shows growth)--tumor was "densely adhered" to my facial nerve and I have weakness. I was all set to have GK (GK MD said it would not hurt my facial nerve)  but also had consult w/Mass Gen (Boston MA) Dr Loeffler who said due to my already weakened facial nerve there was a 50% chance of further harming my facial nerve w/GK--so, upon his advice I will have FSR,Mon-Fri 6 wks, to protect my facial nerve.

Best wishes with what ever you choose for treartment!  Regards, Mary from MA ::)

msuscottie:
Yes, my nerve was damaged and I have no feeling in the left side of my face, and eye issues, but no droopiness or blinking problems. You're saying GK might give me even more issues?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version