General Category > AN Issues

Another MRI!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1/4) > >>

Brendalu:
I feel like I am glowing in the dark!  My surgery was 7/2/05.  I had my six month MRI, then my one year MRI, now the neurosurgeon wants to do another one on Monday!  I also had a zillion of them in September when I was hospitalized!  Has anyone had so many or at least felt like they have had too many?  Is this over kill???
Yikes!!!!!!!!!
BrendaO

chelsmom:
Hi Brenda,

I'm not sure what is the norm here but I think it's better to be safe than sorry.  My daughter, Chelsea, has had 6 MRI's in the last 9 months and will be having the 7th one next Wed. followed by another one in June.  She has been quite a challenge to her doctors and they want to keep close tabs on her.  I'm hoping that after the June MRI she'll only have to do these every 6 months then once a year.  She has an AV shunt and each time she has an MRI she has to have it checked for reprograming.  The MRI's cause her to have horrible head pain.  She says it feels like the shunt is being pulled out of her head.  She has to take a couple Vicodin to help ease the pain afterwards.  But, like I said, better safe than sorry.
Michelle

ppearl214:
hello my Pug-sistah-in-crime! :)

I have had too many MRI's in the past year.  it's to the point that I now sleep through them. I have had to had head MRI's due to other issues (as well as my CK treatment follow ups), as well as pancreatic/liver AND thorasic spine.  I glow beyond imagination and it's to the point now that I laugh with the MRI tech that our spouses are going to start talking about us meeting so frequently.

Hang in there. I'd rather you have too many instead of not enough so you can stay on top of your AN journey.

Phyl

nancyann:
I've only had 1 MRI post op, the day after surgery.    I was told next MRI 1 year post op, that will be this July.  Can't wait.......

Jim Scott:
I'll be having my sixth MRI scan within a year on April 30th.  The first one was last May, when my AN was discovered.  The second was taken pre-surgery, in June, to make sure the surgeon had the 'freshest' look at what he would be dealing with.   I had another MRI post-surgery, so the surgeon could better see how much of the tumor remained and be certain it was now small enough to be effectively radiated.  The next MRI was taken in September and ordered by the radiation oncologist in order to more accurately 'map' my radiation treatment (FSR).  I had another MRI scan last December, intended to be used by my neurosurgeon as a 'baseline' for comparison over time.  I felt that all of them were done for good reason and I didn't object. 

My neurosurgeon has already told me he wants me to have bi-annual MRI scans for a few years, then annually, probably indefinitely.  They are not that difficult, just boring and will cost me a $500 co-payment each calender year.   I believe if you ask your doctor why he wants you to have another MRI, he should be able to tell you and that knowledge should make it easier to accept having yet another MRI.  Well, it works for me.  :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version