Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Should I wait or 2nd opinion?

(1/3) > >>

barbjo:
Hi all, I am in need of help.  My neurosurgeon ordered an MRI  as a follow up to my '03 surgery.  The radiologist found residual tumor growth.  The neurosurgeon has issue with the hospital I had the MRI done (thats another long story) so he refuses to accept the MRI results and wants to wait 6 more months and retest.  He told me as well that he wants to use the Gamma Knife if it is residual, anyone have opinion on Gamma Knife?
Oh, and my neurosurgeon gets quite mad at me when I tell him I have headaches, but from the posts I read it is common.  Really questioning my choice in surgeons.
Thanks!!
Barb

tsl:

--- Quote from: barbjo on July 03, 2007, 06:54:28 am ---Hi all, I am in need of help.  My neurosurgeon ordered an MRI  as a follow up to my '03 surgery.  The radiologist found residual tumor growth.  The neurosurgeon has issue with the hospital I had the MRI done (thats another long story) so he refuses to accept the MRI results and wants to wait 6 more months and retest.  He told me as well that he wants to use the Gamma Knife if it is residual, anyone have opinion on Gamma Knife?
Oh, and my neurosurgeon gets quite mad at me when I tell him I have headaches, but from the posts I read it is common.  Really questioning my choice in surgeons.
Thanks!!
Barb

--- End quote ---

Hi Barb,
I've been struggling with making decisions for myself as to what course of radiosurgical/therapy treatment I should do and at what point in time.  (I tend to waffle.) After reading your post re your neurosurgeon, my first reaction was that you DEFINITELY want to get a 2nd opinion and probably a new neurosurgeon.  No waffling!

From the other folks on this site, I've heard very positive things re Gammaknife as a treatment choice, but I'd be reluctant to have your present neurosurgeon do it.

Something I learned from a local AN support group:  When having a MRI, you can request a copy of the radiologist's report.

Take care.

barbjo:
Something I learned from a local AN support group:  When having a MRI, you can request a copy of the radiologist's report.

You are so right!  I didn't believe everything I was reading from the neurosurgeon, unfortunately no phone call on this matter just a letter.  The letter was to enclose the radiologist report but didn't.  So, I called the hospital where I had the MRI and requested a copy of films and report.  I wanted to see for myself.  And sure enough it shows (granted my limited knowledge) the tumor measured and clearly stated by radiologist.  My concern is waiting 6 months so that I will be facing having conventional surgery again. 

How much growth can occur over 6 months and on a residual does it re-grow faster?

Anyone know of any neurosurgeons at Duke University? 
Thanks!

FlyersFan68:
I sincerely hope that it's not regrowing. IMO, I think that the advice to wait 6 months is reasonable. There are rare instances where the regrowth happens quickly but I think much could be learned within the first six months or even longer. The blood supply is removed with surgery so even though possible regrowth is generally uncommon. Maybe it's a tiny piece of scar tissue or something?? Are there measurements? Even if there was a tiny piece of tumor left behind does not mean it will regrow. Anyway, If I was faced with the possibility of regrowth I would need to see some descent growth before deciding a second treatment. As for second treatments there are some that state the second surgery being much easier than the first. I guess I would pursue the best in surgery and radiation then decide. If growth is evident and confirmed by more than one then I would choose some form of treatment that suits me. The best institutions will review your films for free. Have your films put on disc with their reports and mail them out! Hoping for the best!   

HeadCase2:
Barbjo,
  My AN was removed at Duke University Hospital.  If I remember correctly, the AN (Skull Base) team there (there are at least two teams) will review an MRI free for you.  Let me find the URL and I'll send it to you separately, along with the doctor's names.
Regards,
 Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version