Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

Ear pain is driving my decision.

(1/5) > >>

Lisa B:
My name is Lisa B.

I am new to this site and spending most my time reading up.  Like everyone else, I'm very frightened.
I was diagnosed following an MRI at the end of Aug. of this year.  Size of my tumor was 1cc x 6mm x 6mm.  I had been to several doctors with complaints of hearing loss,pain in my ear(one ear)several times.  Each time was told that it was probably sinus drip or fluid. My cheek feels very strange. Went to see if it was my teeth because my teeth feel funny. Had a funny warm sensation on that same side of my face. Balance and light-headedness.  Eye felt a little different. Couldn't make out where this was all coming from.  I still have all these feeling and now have tinnitis along with all the rest. 
I seem to be having big time ear PAIN . It never seems to go away. Not so much headaches, just pain like a bad ear infection.  I live on motrin which I just read this morning might not be helping the tinnitis issue.  It also seems to not be helping the ear pain anymore.  I've been to 4 different surgeons for consultations..... also confusing.
#1 Dr.Said watch and wait ...he didn't have enough experience to make me feel      comfortable. 
#2 Dr. Sissmanis - Said watch and wait and I felt he didn't want to be bothered by a smaller sized tumor. Said that I didn't have substantial hearing loss yet and didn't feel that I should rush it.
#3 Was great and spent loads of time explaining options reasons why all these sensations. ( He's probably the one I'll be using) I'm pretty much wanting to go the microsurgery route.  His name is Dr. Schessel in Washington D.C. Does anyone know of him?
#4 Was a similar experience except he felt that by waiting to long ,I would loss a great deal more of my hearing which when tested last was still not tremendous. I feel I've lost a lot of my hearing.  This Dr was Dr. Niparko....at Johns Hopkins...I'm far from this but on the east coast.
I suppose that I'm just not happy with the watch and wait opinon because I have so much ear PAIN. More than just the feeling of presure that I had over a year ago now.
I am having a great deal of jitters about making a step.  And when. I can't go to the House Ear Clinic....I'm a single mom with 2 children and have to stay closer to home.  My friends and support system can't travel so far away.

Has anyone else experienced ear pain and does it go away after surgury?
And any experience with Dr's. Schessel or Niparko?   

Thanks to all of you for sharing info, experiences. Wishing that all these extra things that our bodies create would walk off & go away.
Sorry that was so long.
Best wishes to all...
Lisa B
Lisa B

tatianne:
welcome Lisa, most of your questions I cant answer but I know someone here will be able to.
I have a AN as well, and Im also a single mom.
I just wanted to take time to let you know that you have come to a great place for good info and for good pals considering you have to face this AN journey.
Sorry to hear that you have had this diagnosis, but as many have reassured me you will be fine.
If you ever want to talk dont hesitate to PM me.
God bless, take care
T

krbonner:

--- Quote from: Lisa B on November 28, 2006, 12:38:04 pm ---Has anyone else experienced ear pain and does it go away after surgury?

--- End quote ---

I can't speak to the particular doctors, but will say that you have to feel confident in your choices.  We all make our own decisions, for our own very personal reasons, but what I found gave me the most confidence going into surgery was knowing that I made the best decisions I could for me at that particular time.  If you can get through this and not second-guess the decisions you've had to make, it'll help a lot on the other side, I think.

As to the ear pain...

I had intermittent sharp, stabbing pains in my AN ear.  I don't think it was as constant as yours - it'd happen for a few seconds a few times a day.  I think it was the bony structures in my ear canal getting compressed (which was visible by MRI).  I am happy to report that I have not felt that pain even once post-op (once I got past the initial surgical pain).  I don't know if that equates o your situation, but maybe it's a glimmer of hope for you.  The funny thing is that each person's AN and symptoms (pre- and post-treatment) are so individual, and it's impossible to predict what will happen for you.   ???

Katie

Obita:
Hi Lisa B and welcome:

I am so sorry you have an AN but I am glad you came on.  It does help to talk to people that know what you are going through.

My surgeons were in Minnesota so I can't help you with the two you mentioned.  I do know that after talking to my soon to be surgeons for five minutes, my gut told me they were the ones for the job.  They took time with me, they were extremely confident without being arrogant and at the time, they had done over 500 AN surgeries.  Now they are over 800. 

I did not have ear pain, just terrible pressure.  It drove me nuts.  I did ask if that awful feeling would be gone after surgery and they told me it would, after the swelling went down.  They were right.  Now my head feels like it has just the right amount of stuff in it.

Good luck Lisa.  Kathy

Boppie:
Stabbing ear pain sent me to the doctor once or twice a year for about 5 years before diagnosis.  The pain would come on me so fast I'd grab my ear, wince, and cry out.  I remember telling my family and doctor it felt like a knife in there.  The doctor would diagnose ear infection and prescribe antibiotics.  If the pain had not gone away with each course of antibiotic and decongestants I'd have gotten another diagnosis. 

I have never had such pain in my ear, not even when I was experiencing Translab afterpains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version