Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

Sleep Apnea - AN

(1/4) > >>

gregpstone:
I have a serious cognitive deficit that was concurrent with the growth of my tumor. It appeared to be connected to holding multiple items in short term memory which correlated with research showing that vestibular damage can lead to atrophy of the hippocampus.(brain's short term memory center)

However, when I finally found two doctors that took the problem seriously, they both thought it was connected to sleep apnea, which I have and can cause permanent cognitive damage.

My wife says that the onset of my loud snoring was roughly at the same time my AN was diagnosed. There could be a direct connection as some with AN have reported an effect on the throat area and I did have a period where I had some difficulty swallowing.

So, has anyone else experienced the onset of sleep apnea concurrent with tumor diagnosis or later growth?

tcrnko:
Interesting concept.
I had surgery for the correction of sleep apnea 2001.  Tonsils, Soft pallet, Uvula removed, and nasoplasty.  Some relief from the sleep apnea for a while.  Snoring continues, but not as bad. 
All of this was more related to long term problems with sinus.
And as now identified, 5 years before diagnosis of AN.  But, these are slow growing, so it has probably been here in my head for a while.....

Windsong:
My sleep apnea has been diagnosed almost one year post fsr. I did have some swallowing difficulties after fsr and more recently again. I can't remember ever waking up gasping for air, or feeling as if choking before this last year.  My sleep study indicates oxygen deprivation. I stop breathing a number of times during sleep. Interestingly I did not have sinus problems worth noticing until The An was really growing, and now seem to have plenty of clogged up symptoms (mostly one sided An side) again this last year.

My sleep has deteriorated a lot more recently.

The bit about the hippocampus was interesting. Cognitive problems? I have plenty of those now.

Thanks for your post.

ppearl214:
Greg,

Fantastic post!  In doing research on my Chiari 1 Malformation last night, I also discovered that Sleep Apnea is a major issue as well for those with  CM1.  I'll follow this thread to see what everyone chimes in with (as well as those that have already posted) as I need to learn more about this as well.

Hang in there.
Phyl

Raydean:
Hi Mrs Cheeky Bloke

In regards to the Chiari Type One Amy also has Sleep Apnea (confirm thru a sleep study) and has been sleeping with her machine, which isn't working out to well for her.  She's tends to rip the masks off in her sleep.  (In general she's tends to be claustrophobic)

Please keep me updated as what you find out in regards to the Chiari and Sleep Apnea.

Hugs
Raydean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version