Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

facial paralysis

(1/3) > >>

Karen:
Do any of you with facial paralysis find that some times your face feels worse than others?  My trigeminal was effected so I have nofeeling, just the feeling like I have been to the dentist.  Anything to help?  I am going to Jackie Diels for facial therapy and am doing massages and some heat at night. 

amymeri:
I have a similar situation with numbness in my cheek, chin, and the right side of my mouth and tongue.  I get some shooting/zapping sensations in these areas but the numbness has not abated.  Initially the right side of my face...top to bottom and my scalp...was numb but the forehead and scalp came  back in a month or so.  No luck with the rest, though.

My paralysis and synkinesis is pretty bad, also.  My nerve is mostly intact but so hypertonic that my face is basically frozen in a grimace.

I started facial stretches and exercises in November and Botox 3 weeks ago and I am slowly seeing a few changes.

I find that cold weather makes my face much worse and there are some days it is tighter and much more uncomfortable, like I have been punched in the face.

nancyann:
Hi guys:
The only change I've noticed is a kind of 'tightening', almost like a clenching feeling just in front of my ear.
Still have total facial paralysis, right side;  hoping for some movement maybe in a year or so.
Since I have no movement, I haven't started any facial exercises.  I only massage the right side.
Incision site still feels numb.

This is really a bummer - 7 months with the facial paralysis,  I'm tired of it already, know what I mean ???
It just gets me so down sometimes ......

NH Karen:
I continue to have paralysis on the Rside and my physicians do not feel that massage or exercises would be of any significance one way or the other.  As I am now 3 years post-op I am interested in learning more.

nancyann:
Hi Karen R, nice to meet you:   My doc also told me excercises won't be helpful until there is movement.
                                            Have you had any EMGs done post op to check for nerve generation ?
                                            Also, ask your doc about the 12/7 jump, AKA hypoglossianastamosis - they attach part of
                                            the tongue nerve to the facial nerve (they take a nerve from another area, neck, thigh, etc. to
                                            attach the tongue nerve to the facial nerve).
                                            I plan on having the 12/7 jump if I don't continue to show nerve generation.
                                            I hope your docs have told you about these procedures to help with facial reanimation.
                                            There are also other procedures that can be done to reanimate the face, but usually the 12/7
                                            jump is done 1st because if it takes there probably won't be any need for other surgeries.
Write back Karen for any other concerns, etc.   There are several of us here dealing with paralysis.   I knew NOTHING until I hooked up
                                            with these great folks.    Take care,  Nancy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version