Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

GK Treatment - Dr Jason Sheehan at UVA - Nov 2018 for 14mm AN

(1/3) > >>

kestes:
Hi to all, I wanted to update, just had GK treatment for my 14mm AN with Dr. Sheehan at University of Virginia.  Procedure went well.  They put you to sleep for the headframe so I just woke up with it on. Bravo!!! There was some pain at one of the pin sites but it was manageable.  Dr. Sheehan and his staff were great – Greg, Charli, Kim and Karen and all the others.  Great experience at UVA.

After GK, pin sites were painful but was able to manage with Tylenol .  Still get some shots of pain every once in a while around the pin sites, but I am sure it is the nerves healing.  Right after GK my tinnitus and foggy head were through the roof.  After a week it has settled down – it is still there but basically back to preGK status.  My balance does seem a little worse but I will start Vestibular Therapy in 2 weeks to get some exercises to help with that.  I can hear but word recognition is very difficult – I hear sound but cant recognize words out of that ear.  No way to know how that will play out as it just takes time to see what happens there.  I have had a very slight headache, but it is off and on and has not been consistent.  Pin sites have healed up nicely. 

I was treated with 12GY, at 50% Isodose for 34.6 minutes to be exact.  UVA has the new Gamma Knife Icon machine which allows for a CT scan right before treatment just to make sure everything lines up. 

I will update monthly as time passes on just to keep others posted and aware.

Next MRI May 1, 2019

notaclone13:
Hi Keyes, Happy to hear the treatment went smoothly. Hope that the uptick in symptoms will be short lived and resolve quickly. I was under the impression from what I have seen and read on the Internet that the icon did not require the use of a headframe but rather used a mask.  Do you know why they preferred to use they had frame? Also, did you receive any steroids during or after treatment. Did they mention that they could prescribe some if necessary?

kestes:
The Icon does use a headframe, never a mention of any mask, so I am not sure. Others that I know that have gone to UMPC Pittsburgh and Mayo who also have new Icon have headframe as well.   I actually was given a steroid shot Decadron I believe prior to my treatment and yes they did say I could call back and they would put me on steroids if I had symptoms.  I have not called because mine have been minor or Tylenol has helped.  If I had a pounding headache or eye twitching for hours then I certainly would call them and I still may have to, I take it day by day.  I am drinking waters and electrolytes along with diet sodas :(, have no idea if that helps other than staying hydrated. 

Freelander:
Thanks for the news about GK, UVA and the Icon machine.   When you can, keep us posted on your symptoms, etc., always informative to learn about the experiences. 
BEST WISHES!

Blw:
I went there as well. Great team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version