Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Proton Treatment Journal

<< < (3/10) > >>

cindyjarrett:
Am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  I go to UVA on Thursday and will be having gammaknife on Friday.  I am getting a little nervous but have turned it over to God.  Feel like everything will go fine.  Just wish it was over, and I was headed home. 

skipg:
Thanks Cindy, you have my prayers tomorrow. Two friends have had GK, one at UVA and the other one at Riverside in Newport News. Neither was an AN patient but they both had skull based tumors. Both did fine with the treatment. The only comment they had was of tenderness where they fixed the head piece to the skull. You have made a good choice as the neurotologist I was seeing recommended GK as first choice for radiation.
Skip

skipg:
The first week of Proton Therapy is over. Mon was the simulation and Tues to Fri were the actual treatments. Uneventful except for the nauseau I thought I was having on Thurs. I realized that it was not the treatments but my diet. I made 2 loaves of bread on Thurs and when I took them out of the oven that smell drove me to overindulge. Well after 4 slices of hot fresh bead with butter (which I never consume) I started to feel a little queasy. Two Tums and about 2 hours later I was back to normal.

No extra fatigue or increased tinnitus to report. The main problem is the tunnel I have to go through. Just as I got about 1 mis from the entrance they closed the tunnel. I gave myself an extra 40 mins for road congestion. After sitting for about 15 min and not moving I rode the bike down the side of the highway to the inspection station and was told that a box truck was stuck in the tunnel and they were sending wreckers in from the other end to extricate it. Decision time. I called the Proton Center and told them I would be late for my appt. I the exited the west bound side of I-64 and headed in the other direction (East) to get to Hampton. A complete circle in the opposite direction of about 45 mis. When I arrived at the Proton Center I was 30 min late but the tunnel was still blocked. When I was heading home from Hampton, the interstate I was on still had a line of traffic 6mis long slowly going through the tunnel. This is life in Hampton Roads. Thank goodness it was not the tourist season..

I will update again next week. I am looking forward to another uneventful week.(except for the traffic)
Skip

Suu:
Skip - you write as if you're really really reeeeeeeeeeally cool about everything and that's what's gonna get you through the next 3 weeks.
Oh and us too  :P

Good luck!

skipg:
SUU,
Thanks for the encouragement. This AN becomes a piece of cake when you meet others going through so many difficult conditions.
        A motorcyclist, now in a wheelchair, being treated for a spinal tumor. He is looking to buy a
             smaller bike and ride again.
        A recently retired fellow with bladder cancer. When his treatments are completed he is selling 
             his motorhome and buying a condo in Florida.
       Many others with prostate cancer.
I am fortunate to meet them and keep them in my prayers. My AN becomes nothing compared to what others are going through. 
Skip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version