General Category > AN Issues

Just heard today

(1/5) > >>

Rebecca - arkofhope:
Hi. I'm fresh today -- just went to have a hearing test w/ my audiologist and found out my hearing loss in my left ear has become twice as bad in 3 years.

I've already gone thru radiation for a brain stem tumor in 1985, have had tinnitus for 20+ years, so I'm a bit pissed to learn about AN.  I have the symptoms and I'm so glad my dr was quick and upfront about her thoughts.  But I know how important it is to have support/especially with people who have gone thru it, so I am here.

I see an ENT Aug. 22nd who will then send me to have a freakin' MRI (I heard the Open  :) MRI's aren't good enough  :P for ear stuff  - is that right?) 

Just for good measure, I have an appt with an oral surgeon the 23rd for a spot on my tongue that gets puffy (had it for over a year).  He will prbly biopsy it and see if it's benign or malignant. 

So, is AN going to be like my brain stem tumor --- we will never know what caused it, and then I'lll just go on with life (most likely having routine, confining mri's for the rest of my life)......

Guess now might be a good time to invest in some stock with the mri builders. Gotta get somethin' out of those wondrous tubes of claustrophobia.

Peace and smiles,
Rebecca

sgerrard:
Well hello Rebecca, and sorry you have to join us, but welcome, since you do. This is a good place to get support, there are all sorts of cases and outcomes, and lots of good people who will be there for you through thick and thin.

I don't know about the Open MRI, but an MRI with contrast is certainly the best way to confirm a diagnosis of AN. They light up like a little Christmas tree light. I don't believe anyone knows what causes ANs, but at least they can't pin them on any bad habits, so you don't have to stop anything bad you might be doing. ;)

And yeah, you will probably be getting them periodically for a while. So go stick your head in the big washing machine (it sounded like a heavy metal band warming up to me), then go stick your tongue out at the oral surgeon, then come on back and fill us in on the news.

Steve

neal r. lyons:
Hi Rebecca.  Sounds like you've already been thru more than most.

Like Steve said:  MRI with contrast- the "Gold Standard" for detecting Acoustic Neuromas.

I hope you won't have to join the AN club with an AN, but if so, you will find lots of support.

Best wishes to you-Neal

Ronnie:
Hi Rebecca,

Just wanted to let you know that you can have an open MRI done as long as you get it done with contrast.  I have had two and they both picked up my tiny AN --- 2.5 mm. 

best of luck to you

Ronnie

Richey:
Hi there,

I have had a number of MRI's with contrast and was told that open MRI is not the right tool for AN's.
Fortunately they don't phase me I usually go to sleep. Some folks get something before hand to calm the nerves a little. I hope it turns out that you do not have an AN but it's good that you have a doctor that is aware and wants to know for sure.

Hang in there and let us know how that MRI looks.

Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version