Post-Treatment > Cognitive/Emotional Issues

facial paralysis

(1/5) > >>

Karen:
I had my surgery 5 years ago and have facial paralysis, dry eye , no feeling on that side, prizms in my glasses.  My husband says I talk to much about AN things.  Does any one else have that problem.. No one except you guys no what is like to have facial paralysis everyday.  It's hard not to think about it.  Do you think you ever get used to it?  I try not to dwell on it but sometimes you just get tired of all the drops, ointment, not being able to eat right, tallk right, look right!!!  And not be able to blink on your own.  I guess this is a bad day for me.  ANy one else?  Karen

Jeanlea:
Karen,

It is hard not to notice facial paralysis when you have it.  Putting in ointment and gels all day can get to be annoying.  I find coming on this forum is a great outlet for my AN talk.  Our families can't really understand how much it affects us.  I have found that when I am busier I tend not to notice my paralysis and numbness.  I have to make a conscious effort to concentrate on all that we still can do.  I'm grateful that I can get through my days with no headaches.  I don't know how those that have them do it.  I am also happy that I don't have balance problems.  It makes doing my daily exercises do-able.  The exercise helps me in a couple of ways.  It gets me in better shape for physically and mentally. 

One adaptation I've made to drinking liquids is to hold the corner of my mouth.  When I'm eating I sort of scrape the corner of my mouth where food probably fell out and stuck to my face.  I can't feel it, but I know it's there.  I always have a napkin near me when I eat in public.  At home I sometimes wear the food on my face.  I tell my family I'm saving it for later.  Got to have a sense of humor. 

I hope that you have better days to come.  I am sending good thoughts into the universe for you.

Jean

Jill Marie:
Hi Karen,  I had my surgery in 92 so I've been dealing with this for over 16 years now! Sometimes I think I've gotten use to it then a bad day or 1/2 a bad day comes along and I feel like you do today. As Jean says, keeping busy helps.  During the Holidays I complained a bit about having so much to do but now when I look back I realize that between the Holidays and shoveling a record amount of snow I had little time or energy to think about my eye  that doesn't water at all or how I can't smile like the rest of the world does.  I hate those commercial where the people are so glad they got their teeth fixed because having a good smile changed them so much.  Anyway, I don't talk much about having a tumor unless someone really inquires about my eye or face.  Sometimes I think I should talk more about it so I would have a better feel for how others see me.  Yes, I think about my issues all the time, how can you not when you have to put ointment or drops in your eye all the time. It seems that when I'm having a not so good day for some other reason my medical issues bother me more and of course when all is going well the medical issues don't bother me as much.  I'm sure that goes the same for most people.  Also, as Jean says I can't imagine having to deal with the headaches or balance issues.  Just as some on this board breath a sigh of relief that they don't have the facial issues.  I've been having headaches from over doing the snow shoveling which reminds me that I would hate to have the headaches.  I feel a lot better when I take a nice long walk or work out at the club, that I couldn't do with balance issues.

Then you get an email from your son stationed overseas that says he totaled his car and he and his girlfriend are very sore but will be ok!  That completely changes your day! All you can think about is them!

When the day is going well have fun and enjoy, when it's not going so well we're here!  Jill Marie

jazzfunkanne:
hi karen , i am 2 years post op, and it is on my mind most of the time, i dont know if i was working it would take my mind off it, but like you i talk about it alot of the time esp to my hubby he just nods and agrees with me lol.

Patti:
hi karen-i am 8 years post-op with all the same issues.  how can you forget about it with the constant eye issues, eating issues, balance issues, hearing issues, etc.?  this is the place where you will get understanding.  i don't contribute often because i am afraid to make the newly diagnosed more nervous.  they should have a site that only old-timers can access and we can all commiserate!  patti

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version