Post-Treatment > Cognitive/Emotional Issues

Chronic fatigue???

(1/4) > >>

lifeisgood:
I am wondering how many of us are left feeling exhausted post surgery.
I have talked with another fellow friend who had an AN removed a year before me.
She has been overcome by a slew of virus and is left pretty much on disability.
So, I would like to hear from others regarding energy levels.
I am in the midst of tests right now testing cortisol. It is extremely high.  My blood pressure is extremely low.
I am tired all the time.  I found out I have anemia a month ago and am now on iron pills.

To give you an idea.  I am almost 45, have a 5.5 year old and a 3.5 year old son who has autism.  Usually when I say that I hear "well that would make anyone tired".
I feel like I am in a much older ladys body.  By 1 pm, after sleeping for 8 or so hours, I am ready to sleep again.

I am almost 5 years out.  If you feel as good as before surgery or better, let me know that as well.
I had a mild case of shingles less than a month before surgery. I always wonder if some sort of virus stayed in my system and the stress of everything left
me feeling like I do today.

Mary

leapyrtwins:
Mary -

as you might already know, low blood pressure, in itself is a cause of chronic fatigue and I'm sure the anemia didn't help the situation.

I had surgery 5/31/07 and I'm tired a lot, but I don't think in my case it can be attributed to my surgery.

For me, it's basically lifestyle - working all day, single parenting in my "off" hours, staying up too late at night on the forum or reading, etc.  My stress level is also at an all-time high lately (court dates, the bad economy, a son with ADHD, etc.,)   IMO the only sleep issue I can truly attribute to my AN surgery is the fact that I still don't sleep comfortably on my "bad" ear.  I slept on my right side for 45 1/2 years and now I sleep on my left side and I still haven't fully adjusted  :(

I hope the iron pills help you.  In the meantime, perhaps taking some "me" time, if you can swing it, would be beneficial - it sounds like you have your plate full  :)

Jan

Kaybo:
Mary~
I am 13 years out & I can can certainly see a difference in my energy level after surgery until now.  I guess a good comparison for me before surgery would be the Energizer Bunny (keeps going & going).  A lot of people think that I still do a lot (& I do), but they didn't know me before.  I attribute part of it to age as I was just really young when I had surgery & obviously I have aged since then.  I have to get my sleep or issues start to pop up...not viruses or anything, but balance, droopy eye, "thick" tongue and trouble with speech, etc.  I also get tired at night easier and it is literally like a brick wall - once I hit it, I ABSOLUTELY can not do another thing besides get to the bed.  I try to "plan" as best I can as far as what I will be doing - an example was that I went to dinner and a movie with a friend Thursday night so I didn't get up at 5:25 and go to the gym that day.  I seem to be more tired the last few weeks, but I am going to get my thyroid levels checked again this week and see if we need to adjust my medication (I had my thyroid removed).  I don't know if this was what you were looking for!

K   ;D

Jim Scott:
Mary:

Your question is pertinent because it covers an issue I think the majority of AN surgical patients have to deal with.  In my case, I suffered from fatigue before the diagnosis, surgery and radiation but I also feel as if I have less stamina, now.  I assume that the presence of the AN and my brain furiously trying to compensate for the loss of the vestibular nerve function was a large part of my pre-diagnosis fatigue.  Now, I attribute the trauma of the surgery and radiation along with my age (65) to be reasons for my - if not actual 'fatigue' - lack of stamina.  I always get a good night's sleep (7 or 8 hours) and yet, I fall asleep in front of the TV quite often - sometimes before 9 p.m.   Go figure.   

Realistically, the majority of AN patients are middle aged and that is a time when your body starts showing signs of 'wear and tear', especially if one is not in excellent health, which few of us are.  Then, you have a tumor that messes up your hearing or balance - or both, while your middle-aged brain frantically tries to adapt.  We know AN surgery is hard on the body's resources.  Your being anemic is certainly a major factor.  Add to that, the sheer physical activity necessary to parent two very young children, do housework, etc and you have a sure-fire formula for fatigue.  Of course, this is supposition on my part, not a medical opinion, but I believe it has merit.  I don't have a solution for your fatigue but your doctor might have an idea.  I would ask him (or her).  I trust you'll feel stronger, soon.

Jim

JudyT:
Dear Mary........you my, dear have a lot on your plate aside from your AN issues. I am 68....4 years out from CK. the "thing is dead" but the memory (what's that?) lives on. I was a very fit 60 year old when my symtoms first started to appear...I was powering walking and at  the gym 6 days a week (with a trainer 3) weighed 130....chasing 2 teenage grandchildren and the life was GREAT. BOOM.....slowly....I got more tired....balance issues appeared....hearing, fatigue. and a host of issues. After being in the watch and wait and steadily going down hill I came out of denial and said self you better do some research and get on it now.......decided on CK at Stanford with John Adler...went for it....did it... glad I did.... BUT....I feel whether it be surgery or CK the darn thing just does it's own thing and it's up to us to deal with it. With the marvelous support of this site and CK site etc, etc, you can make a difference in your life by acceptance..... this is it. Now what? Sometimes it's sooooooooo depressing I can't stand it....can't walk right....drive... cook... entertain and much more. I'm ALIVE! I had 6 teenagers in my house on Sunday doing the Wii thing I bought....sports edition....couldn't find Wii fit for me....in my PJ's....their eating me out of house and home and I want to be in BED! What a fun time I had watching them....they left...I went to the bed........with a happy heart.....I was here to be with them....thanks to CK. It's worth all the effort...fear/frustration....issues....just to be here and with my grown children and them. I am a widow a small, tight family and SOOOOO blessed just to be alive. You will find YOUR way to ease it all in time....it won't go away but you will find a new path. You have 2 beautiful children who need you tired or not...get 'em on the bed with you.....that's what I do. My beautiful 1st garndchild (161/2) still gets on the bed with me. Tomorrow she's taking her learner's permit test etc. in MY new Beamer......it's only a car. Go figure..... I'm alive and you are too......you CAN do this. My best to you.......Judy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version