Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Private or Semi-Private?

(1/2) > >>

coffeylady:
I am interested in knowing if after translab surgery and night in ICU are you put into a private or semi-private room? 

TP:
I was in ICU for 3 days and HATED IT. The first night their was a sick women in the room near me that coughed all night. A nurse sat at the foot of my bed the entire evening to make sure I didn't stroke. The next day they finally got me a private ICU room and that was wonderful. However, I liked the normal private room better, it was more quiet and less traffic. In any event, ask for private, assuming your insurance will cover. 

leapyrtwins:
I think it depends on the hospital.

The hospital I was at didn't have a separate ICU.  I was put into a room where I was considered to be "ICU" for 24 hours post op.  At that point, my room status was "downgraded".  I had my own room - didn't have to share.

The only moves I made were from the OR to the recovery room to my hospital room. 

Jan

marymomof3:
Hi - I agree that I believe it depends on the hospital.  I went to NYU for my surgery.  ICU room was private.  The room I was moved to after ICU had 1 other patient with me.

Mary

oHIo:
After ICU, I requested a private room.  My sister was staying with me and I am not a good room mate.  ;)  The nurses said they usually try to put the AN post op patients in private rooms, but I know Ohio Also and I were at the hospital at the same time and she did not get a private room due to them being occupied.

Working in a hospital, I know some of it just has to do with luck and the bed situation, if you request a private room.  Sometimes they are all full and you have no choice but to go to a semi private.  Some hospitals have all private rooms on the floors they move neuro patients.  It's best to check with your doctor's office to see if there is a particular floor they admit to after your ICU stay and if your doctor usually has his patients go to a private room.  (Insurance may cover it if they feel it is medically necessary.)  

It's also a good idea to check with the hospital to see what the difference in cost would be between a private and semi private, in case you get stuck with the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version