Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Do i need ANOTHER MRI so soon (pre-surgery)?

<< < (2/3) > >>

lori67:
Jan, you over-achiever, you!   :D

Lori

Jim Scott:
Hi, Trish:

Let me add to the general conclusion that answers your question regarding MRI scans, pre-op.  It's basically the doctor's call. 

My neurosurgeon is very conservative and cautious, which is fine with me.  I had my original MRI scan in mid-May, 2006 and my surgeon ordered a 'fresh' MRI scan just a few weeks later, immediately prior to my surgery.  He ordered another MRI following the surgery (to check his work, as he put it).  I've had 5 more MRI scans since then, some connected to my follow-up FSR treatments.  Fortunately, the MRI's have shown tumor shrinkage and the beginnings of necrosis so I'm good with this.  Besides, I'll be going to annual MRI scans after my next one, scheduled for June.   

Again, if the surgeon wants you to have an MRI, it's going to happen.  It really isn't a bad idea.  As Steve suggests, just play along.

Jim

calimama:
Thanks guys...
So i had MRI #3 this morning. When the technician asked me if i had had one before, i said, "no, TWO!" and that the last one was just a few weeks earlier and that i wasn't sure why i needed another (i really thought it might be a mistake and that there was a communication problem). But then i was told that the MRI i was getting today was much more accurate and precise as the previous one (i also had this one at a different hospital, the one i will having surgery at this time!). In fact double the clarity and accuracy (so i REALLY needed to be still). It was fine, i dont mind the MRIs. Still no metal flew out of my body thankfully  ;)
So i don't know if this process is normal, routine or what, but i am happy for them to have the best info possible so on went the robe and into the tube i went!

I hope i am still on for June 2. I ready to get past this part of my journey!

Thanks guys for sharing and caring.  ;D
Trish

Syl:
Trish,

I sure hope your June 2 surgery date is a keeper this time. I was also bumped to a later date. My original date was May 19, now it's June 16. I, like you, am so ready to get beyond this and begin the recovery.

Good luck fellow neuromite

Syl

lori67:
Trish,

Glad it went well.  Many times, the doctors want the tests done at the same hospital they plan on operating in.  I guess there can be subtle differences in different MRI machines and they like to have some consistency - which I certainly can't argue with.  As long as it's not an invasive procedure, then I think I'd rather have the doctor be extra careful.

And if you wear sweats with no metal do-hickeys and a sports bra - you don't usually have to wear the lovely robes they provide!  I am much more comfortable in my own clothes while stuffed into a tunnel to be observed by strangers!   :D

Lori

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version