Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

how to find the best surgeon

(1/6) > >>

maggiemae:
Hi everyone,
I'm just diagnosed yesterday, still taking it all in.  I'm wondering how people go about finding the very best surgeons with the very best success rates.  I have to say I am very comfortable with the doc I've seen in Boston thus far, but he is the person I've seen for SSHL, which is what they thought I had prior to MRI yesterday.  I am now to be seeing a second person there, a Dr. McKenna.  I've been told that the place I've been fortunate enough to find is one of the best in the country (Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary), but also have been told that it's always good to get a second opinion regardless.  My tumor is small (under 1 cm) and it's likely to be the watch and wait thing, but I want to be proactive, have the opportunity to consider surgery prior to this this getting too large, etc. etc.  I just really want to find the right doctor, even if it means traveling further.  Thanks in advance for any replies- I'm glad to have found this forum. 

Debbi:
Hi Maggiemae-

Welcome to the AN club - not probalby the club any of us wanted to be in, but it is a great group of people.  I can relate to what you are probably feeling right now.  I was only diagnosed about a month ago and remember all to vividly how I felt.  Like a deer in the headlights of an oncoming tractor trailor!

I have heard from others on this forum that the Mass Eye and Ear place is great.  i am sure others will chime in to share their own experiences with you on this.  You may also want to send a copy of your MRI to House Ear Institute in LA.  I got a call back the very next day from them. 

Since you are also not that far from NYC, you may want to come down here for some consults.  I am having surgery with Golfinos and Roland at NYU Med.  I have also heard wonderful things about Selesnick who is out of Columbian Presbyterian Weill Cornell in the City. 

You are taking the right approach.  Learn all you can.  Don't forget to order the excellent booklets from the ANA, too.  Very helpful and also great to share with family members. 

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Debbi (counting down in NJ!)

Mama R:
Maggeimae- Sorry to hear you are among us.But glad you found this website.

I was diagnoased at Jan end and just had a translab done on March 21st. When I first found out I did so much reading on this website and glad I did. I would use the Search option on this website on Doctors/Hospital names that I heard about or viewed when I googled 'acoustic neuroma or vestibular schwanoma'. I do recall the Eastern United States had a lot to offer.  Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, John-Hopkins,Baltimore, Sloan Kettering, NY, to name a few.  I am from Ohio and ended up at the Universtiy of Cinncinati with Drs Pensak (ENT) & Theodosopolous (Brain Surgeon). Ohio State seemed to have a good doctor (Welling) but I opted for Cincinnati as they had done more of these surgeries.

My tumor was small & I attribute that to such a successful operation & recovery (you can read particulars on Welcome Baaack commentary). It was 1cm and the doctors removed it all and said it easily peeled away for the nerve. Radiation was not my choice as I  am a 50 yr old healthy woman who just wanted to get it out, be sure it was gone, put it behind me and move on. For the same reasons I did not want to wait and watch.

Best of Luck to You!

Becky

leapyrtwins:
IMO you should go through the normal channels - referrals, the list put together by the ANA (under medical resources on the opening page of this website), etc., -  but in the end you need to decide in your own mind who is best for you. 

Obviously make sure the doctor(s) are qualified and experienced in the treatment you pick, but I found that comfort level made all the difference to me.  I absolutely could not have had the peace of mind I had going into surgery and during my post op recovery without the two doctors I chose.  They have both made a huge difference in my life and I will forever be grateful to both of them.

Jan

maggiemae:
thanks to you folks for your replies.  I guess I did not see the medical resources tab and will surely go check that.  I've been trying to read a lot here, but it's only been a day, and I had to work.  Thanks for the feedback.  It's really so helpful to hear of others' experiences. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version