Post-Treatment > Cognitive/Emotional Issues

I'm having a pity party/meltdown

<< < (2/4) > >>

Brendalu:
^Tammy,

I am a couple of months ahead of you and have had the same feelings you have had.  Many, many pity parties.  Therapy has helped as has Cymbalta, Topamax and a host of other meds.  Sometimes you just have to have the party and then let it go.  Sunshine and fresh air helps.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  This was and is a life changing experience.  You survived and now you need some encouragement and something really good in your life. 
When I get really bad I go visit a nursing home and there is usually a young person there who is far worse off than I am.  Then I also listen to the older folks' stories about when they were young like me (I'm not, but it makes me feel young to listen to them!)
Hugs to you,
Brenda

wendysig:
Hi Tammy
I don't have much to add except to say pity parties are allowed, just don't stay there too long.  Staying active will help the emotional issues and I can't guarantee anything, but maybe doing exercises for balance will help your balance issues.  Even my PT told me I wouldn't have to do these exercises forever,  I have a feeling he might be wrong.  If you are interested, I posted all the exercises I learned in PT in AN issues under the ready to give up thread.  Even if you just do some of them, they might help.  I've heard from others here that Wii Fit is also a great help for balance issues.  Another thing to remember is that you should look for things that make you happy and make you laugh -- laughter is good for the mind, body and soul.

Best wishes,
Wendy

FAITH40:
TAMMY,

HI, NICE TO MEET YOU, I AM TAMMI TOO !  ;) I ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE HERE CAN SYMPATHIZE AND EMPATHIZE WITH YOU. I ALWAYS FIND COMFORT WHEN I TALK TO SOMEONE THAT HAS BEEN THROUGH WHAT I AM EXPERIENCING AT A PARTICULAR MOMENT. WHEN I TALK I FEEL I HAVE BEEN VALIDATED, AND LESS NEED FOR MY OWN PITY PARTY, BUT IF I WANT TO HAVE ONE I KNOW THAT I CAN BECAUSE THERE IS A LIGITIMATE REASON. AND WE CAN HAVE ONE TOGETHER! PARTIES ARE NEVER FUN ALONE! ;)

ABOUT 1 MONTH AFTER MY SURGERY I WAS REALLY DOWN AND A FRIEND OF MINE WENT AND BOUGHT ME THAT MOVIE "PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES " THAT WAS THE FUNNIEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! I LAUGHED TIL I CRIED, MY STOMACH HURT AND MY HEAD!! AFTER THAT A PITY PARTY WAS OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!! I AM WITH WENDY ... JUST TRY TO LAUGH AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, AND SURROUND YOURSELF WITH GOOD PEOPLE .I JUST TRY TO REMEMBER THAT GOD IS IN CONTROL AND I CAN'T GO BACK,  AND DO NOT WANT TO. SO I JUST PRAY FOR THE STRENGTH TO KEEP GOING! GOD HAS GOTTEN ME THROUGH THIS YEAR AND I KNOW HE WILL LEAD ME ON AND HE WILL YOU TOO , BECAUSE HE SAID HE WOULD NEVER LEAVE US NOR FORSAKE US!

I AM ON YOUR SIDE!  ;)
TAMMI

ernie h:
you have every right to feel the way you do.thank god for this group.all of you.i'm 16 month post op and have had issues but not as bad as yours.i empathize with you.hopefully we all find our comfort zone hopefully it's sooner rather than later.i know i'm grateful for things more now than ever but i'm still searching.god bless you all.

MaryBKAriz:
Hi Tammy,

Yes I agree pity parties happen.  Now I have to say - I have gotten down about having a pity party. BIG help THAT is! ;D

This is what happened to me a number of years ago when I had a really bad year - I got myself psyched enough to be brave and bare my soul and tell the doctor that I, the "strong one" was battling with depression. It was hard for me to admit even though I had every reason for it. You can only imagine how thrilled I was when the doctor said, "Well just cheer up!". I kid you not. My jaw dropped, I WISH I had said - "WOW, what a great idea - I had never thought of that!" I was so dumbfounded I paid the idiot and never saw him again. I found a good doctor, got some grief counselling and a mild dose antidepressant and I was better. Short bouts of pity partying I am sure are not unusual. I would think most here with any complications have had them.

I send you a big hug, a chuckle and a smile,

Mary  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version