General Category > AN Issues

Need MRI for diagnosis but allergic to gadolinium

<< < (3/3)

PaulW:
Went looking for my AN story on this site and couldn't find the whole thing....

Brief story.

Lost a chunk of hearing suddenly....
Already knew it could be an Acoustic Neuroma

Got CT Scan then MRI.....
Ripped open the packet myself to read what I had sort of expected... 10mm x 5mm x 5mm Acoustic Neuroma

Wasn't liking Watch and Wait, because my hearing was noticeably getting worse every few days and I wanted to save my hearing.
I figured rightfully or wrongly that the sooner I had the AN treated the better chance I would keep my hearing.
Ended up getting Cyberknife in Munich Germany 3 weeks after being diagnosed.

I live in Australia and in 2010 there was no Gamma Knife or Cyberknife machine. I was not comfortable with the general purpose LINAC's that were available in Australia. Hearing preservation results from these machines was not as good as GK or CK

So flew from small town Australia by myself, to London, and Munich Germany...
Left Saturday Lunchtime... arrived 32 hours later...

Monday AM... Met with Neurosurgeon Dr Muacevic
High Definition CT Scan done for dose planning.. Mask made..

Tuesday 10:00 AM
35 minutes under the Cyberknife... Single Session
All done in just over an hour......
Went to a german bar for lunch and had a hearty German Meal... I did skip the beer....

Wednesday
Next day I was pretty dizzy, but went wandering around Munich doing the sites, and flew out that night back to Australia.

Arrived back friday morning....... and went back to work for 2 hours friday morning...

Made it sound easy....... Well there were a few problems with balance, hearing and tinnitus post radiation. Balance and Tinnitus are all good now.

Currently my AN is stable.
I have really no real problems

After 5 years I have lost some of my hearing... However low frequencies I test as normal..
High frequencies I have lost a bit...
I have started wearing a hearing aid, which is really helping in noisy environments.. restaurants, bars, loud social gatherings.
I don't notice any loss in quiet environments.

Very happy with the result

farmgirl:
Thank you PaulW!  If the MRI shows AN - I hope I can have CK too and be able to tell a similar story!

best to you!
farmgirl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version