Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Treat immediately or wait for growth?

<< < (2/2)

CA Marti:
Judyl,
Thank you for your input. My speech recognition on the acoustic neuroma side (right ear) is currently 92% and the hearing hasn’t decreased or changed since the last hearing test 6 months ago. I have my second MRI coming up on Nov.22 so I am pretty anxious about that but trying to remain positive. It is encouraging to hear that yours hasn’t grown but I don’t know what a pituitary microadenoma is but I’m sure it’s good news that it hasn’t grown. I do have a hearing aid on my good ear but that’s because of a separate hearing disorder. I don’t use a hearing aid on my right side because I have sensitivity to noise in that ear and can still get by without one. At this point it has been almost six months since my first MRI, and so far I haven’t had any changes in my hearing.
Thank you for any suggestions you may have. I’m 51, so really could go either way with gamma or surgery but if it grows J am leaning towards gamma.
Thanks!
Marti

Janoffh:
I hope the MRI went smoothly.  Your response from the doc was very different than mine.  I went to three people who all said W&W is the way to go.  I have hearing loss into the moderate-severe range now on my neuroma side, but no other symptoms thankfully!  The first doc, when I asked about preserving the hearing, said that I should assume that the hearing will eventually be lost.  Sure, there is a chance that a procedure may retain the hearing, however, it is more important to choose a what to do based on what is medically the better choice. I certainly get that and am glad to be on W&W for now...

CA Marti:
Janoffh,
Thanks so much for your input. I did decide that wait and watch was the way to go and several of the doctors I’ve seen did suggest that approach as well. Dr.Link, Dr.Friedman and Schwartz, and Dr.Sheehan all suggested to initially wait 6 months.  There were only two radiologists who suggested treating it immediately, and that initially made me nervous.
     Thank you for asking about the MRI. I just had it done yesterday but haven’t received the results yet so I am very nervous and am really hoping for good news. Have you received your second MRI yet?
Best wishes,
Marti

Janoffh:
Yes and short answer, very good as it didn't change at all.  I had a hearing drop in the left ear recently and was worried so the doc moved the mri up. Now instead of 6 months he wants me back in a year, so I am very glad about that. Thank you for asking :)

CA Marti:
Just to update, I just got my 2nd MRI results back and it's good news. "no significant change in size." Measurements are now 10 X 8 X 6. I'm very relieved. I have been taking daily aspirin of 81 mg and turmeric off and on, I have no idea if that did anything or not but I will continue taking them just in case. I also have been trying to follow Derek's top tips for the watch and wait, although I don't get as much exercise as he suggests.

Thanks everyone for all of your support!

Marti

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version