General Category > AN Issues

UPDATE

(1/3) > >>

Clifton:
Well yesterday i met with the neuro-otologist and he examined my MRI's and said that the due to the nature and position and size of my tumor *2 cm long X 1 cm wide* and the fact that its already pressing against my brainstem we will need to do a trans-lab approach to avoid "blindly poking at the nerve".

He said that because of the fact thats its already pressing against my brainstem that theres absolutly NO chance of hearing preservation in that ear but he said my face will be fine. He said he's never had any problems with the facial nerve doing this approach and knows i'll be the same.

I am content with this, bc as many of you may know i am only 21 years old and the idea of facial paralyses horrifies me.

Dr. Perry is the neuro-otologist and Dr. Bogaev is the neurologist. I've heard good things about them. So hopefully i can get this taken care of in the next few weeks. I will meet again with Dr. Bogaev on Tuesday to discuss it.

Captain Deb:
Clifton,
Have you asked these docs how many AN surgeries they perform a year?  Can you ask for a list of other patients? Be sure they have a good track record. You can always go to a center of excellence for a second opinion. Travelling for this surgery is something that many of us do. I flew all the way across the country for mine.

Capt Deb 8)

Clifton:
I asked them all of these questions as well, they do approx. 50-75 per year and he is one of the highest sought after neurologists in the area.

Captain Deb:
One a week is not bad--you first posted that one doc you saw treated one a month--not nearly enough. Best of luck--we're all behind you --you may want to see if anyone elso on this board was treated by your docs. Start an "anyone treated by..." thread in the inquiry section and you may get some hits. also do a search of his name using the search engine. We all want everyone to feel they are getting the best care thay can get for their situation/tumor size/insurance/treatment choice etc. There are a few other youngies on this board--Taylor, Chelsea, Chris, and they are all just getting on with their lives.

Be well and sail on,

Capt Deb 8)

Clifton:
thank you!

ive actually talked to someone who has the same doctors and they say great things also! i'll keep you updated!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version